+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cash to carry to Canada for first time traveler. Declaration at airport required

tan_sur69

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
Hi
I am entering Canada as Permanent resident for the first time next week. My spouse application is approved.
How much cash can i carry with me on the flight?
Both my spouse and I are travelling - What is the maximum amount, that can be carried.
I have liquid cash with me. Where should i declare so that amount can be brought to Canada in periods.
Is there a time limit to move my assets to Canada without tax obligation?
Any declaration forms to sign for first time travellers?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
I am entering Canada as Permanent resident for the first time next week. My spouse application is approved.
Both my spouse and I are travelling - What is the maximum amount, that can be carried.
I have liquid cash with me. Where should i declare so that amount can be brought to Canada in periods.
As much cash as you want (you might have to declare them at exit control in India or Canada).

If you wire them, then you don't have to declare them yourself.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to add, once arrive in Canada, when you are carrying over $10,000, you will have to declare them at a kiosk and will receive a computer printout by the end of the session. Before exiting the baggage area, you will give the border people the computer printout and they would instruct you to sign a form.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi
Would make sure you travel with proof of where the cash came from especially above 10k. For example if you liquidated an account bring the statement proving you had the money in the bank and you just liquidated the account.