AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
We didn't lie on my application for PR. I was only 17 years old when my mom applied me for sponsorship. Yes, it took 10 years to get approval. Life happened, I met someone, got a child of our own etc. As per CIC's website, you can be considered a dependent child if:
  • they’re under 22 years old, and
  • they don’t have a spouse or common-law partner.
'IF' we declared that I am in a common-law relationship, that would make me ineligible as a dependent child.
The thing is, you have to update them with big life changes, one of which would certainly be getting married or getting a common law partner.

From what I can understand, you genuinely weren't in a common law relationship (so that part wasn't a lie), but at the same time, the reason you weren't in one was so that you could still be your mother's dependent and immigrate into Canada. Because you knew entering a common law relationship or marrying (and declaring it) would be disqualifying.

So now you've landed and become a PR and now you want to sponsor your partner of 6+ years who wasn't your spouse or common law partner up until now for the sole purpose of you immigrating into Canada and later sponsoring him. I imagine that's something that caught the eye of the officers dealing with your file.

I think you'd benefit from getting a good immigration lawyer.

Reactions: Buletruck

yengzzkie

Mar 23, 2019
The thing is, you have to update them with big life changes, one of which would certainly be getting married or getting a common law partner.

From what I can understand, you genuinely weren't in a common law relationship (so that part wasn't a lie), but at the same time, the reason you weren't in one was so that you could still be your mother's dependent and immigrate into Canada. Because you knew entering a common law relationship or marrying (and declaring it) would be disqualifying.

So now you've landed and become a PR and now you want to sponsor your partner of 6+ years who wasn't your spouse or common law partner up until now for the sole purpose of you immigrating into Canada and later sponsoring him. I imagine that's something that caught the eye of the officers dealing with your file.

You got my point exactly, thank you. Except from one, she is now my legal spouse. I went back home to marry her.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
We didn't lie on my application for PR. I was only 17 years old when my mom applied me for sponsorship. Yes, it took 10 years to get approval. Life happened, I met someone, got a child of our own etc. As per CIC's website, you can be considered a dependent child if:
  • they’re under 22 years old, and
  • they don’t have a spouse or common-law partner.
'IF' we declared that I am in a common-law relationship, that would make me ineligible as a dependent child.
That is all correct BUT while waiting for the sponsorship, did you become common-law? If you did, no matter what that blurb about dependents say, as soon as you achieved common-law, you then must be removed as dependent. Your status when the application was entered is irrelevant. It is your status once you are provided a visa that matters.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017

This. Definitely get a good immigration lawyer. If you really were not common-law when you landed as PR there is nothing for you to worry about.

Tayyab29

Star Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi, any update on your application? how long did they take to come back to you. My case also referred to special unit as I was not living in Canada at the time of application. What should I do? any suggestions?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, any update on your application? how long did they take to come back to you. My case also referred to special unit as I was not living in Canada at the time of application. What should I do? any suggestions?
Are you a PR or a citizen?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I've replied to you in another thread. Suggest leaving this one as entirely different circumstances.