+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Carrying household plants to Canada

AppleTalk

Jul 12, 2019
I have read that household plants are exempt and can be carried without any paperwork. I have also confirmed that the plants I plan to carry are in the exempt list.

But i am not sure if I can carry those plants in a pot with soil...or do I need to remove all the soil before moving?

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

ClayO

Mar 16, 2021
My wife and I moved to Canada 5 years ago with our house plants based on what you said: they weren't on the exempt list. Regardless, our first interaction at the border resulted in the border agent wanting us to discard the plants at the border. We objected, and we had to go inside the border inspection station and got another agent to inspect and approve our plants. We were allowed to take our plants with the instruction not to dispose of the soil in Canada.

This was 5 years ago, and it definitely felt like 50/50 whether or not our plants would be allowed to cross. Your mileage may vary depending on time of day you cross, what agent you get and how they are feeling that day. Best of luck!

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
I have read that household plants are exempt and can be carried without any paperwork. I have also confirmed that the plants I plan to carry are in the exempt list.

But i am not sure if I can carry those plants in a pot with soil...or do I need to remove all the soil before moving?

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Hi...

Did you happen to carry plants when you entered Canada? We are planning our move in April end and I have few succulents and pothos !! Everything is from USA. Need guidance on how to take plants !! Thanks a ton in advance

AppleTalk

Jul 12, 2019
Hi...

Did you happen to carry plants when you entered Canada? We are planning our move in April end and I have few succulents and pothos !! Everything is from USA. Need guidance on how to take plants !! Thanks a ton in advance
Yes we were able to enter with the plants...As long as the plants are in the exempt list and you get rid of the soil, you should be good. I was expecting and was prepared to show that the plants are soil free but the CBP officers just took my word and did not even check the plants.