+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Carleton University Winter 2019

jasz_blr

May 28, 2018
Hello Friends,

I have got an offer of Admission for Winter 2019 Intake (M.Eng in Civil Engineering) on 6th November 2018. Unfortunately, I don't have sufficient time to arrange for Loans and Visa Process. At this stage, I can't see another option to attend winter 2019 term. Please give me your suggestions, what should I do now?
You can ask program coordinator of your department to defer your admission, citing the reason of short visa application window and very short time to arrange funds. They should be able to defer to either Summer or Fall term 2019.

niz_fathi

Nov 14, 2018
Hello friends,

I applied for Master of Computer Science. I got my conditional offer letter yesterday.
Condition of acceptance: Note - Conditions must be met and registration complete by the first day of classe
Admission is conditional upon receipt of a Course-by-Course evaluation (WES ICAP) from World Education Services (WES Canada) available at https://www.wes.org/ca/:B S Abdur Rahman Univ; B. Tech
Admission is conditional upon submission of an official English-language test score which meets the minimum requirements as identified in the Graduate Calendar.
( I had already uploaded the IElts rest score in PDF form).

Can I apply for student Visa with the conditional offer letter?
Could you please help me out?

Thanks.

Sumesthkr

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018
H
Hello friends,

I applied for Master of Computer Science. I got my conditional offer letter yesterday.
Condition of acceptance: Note - Conditions must be met and registration complete by the first day of classe
Admission is conditional upon receipt of a Course-by-Course evaluation (WES ICAP) from World Education Services (WES Canada) available at https://www.wes.org/ca/:B S Abdur Rahman Univ; B. Tech
Admission is conditional upon submission of an official English-language test score which meets the minimum requirements as identified in the Graduate Calendar.

Thanks.
Hi.,

Can you please share your profile?

jasz_blr

May 28, 2018
Hello friends,

Thanks.
Ideally, it is advisable to apply for a visa with unconditional letter to avoid rejection. But in some straightforward cases the students may apply with conditional letters as well. For example where the condition is to just submit sealed envelope of university transcripts. The visa officer can see that the applicant has attached a copy of university transcripts in visa application and hopefully would have dispatched the sealed envelope to university. In such cases, the visa officer may entertain the conditional letter.

In your case WES is involved so you must first obtain the unconditional letter before filing application for visa.

niz_fathi

Nov 14, 2018
Ideally, it is advisable to apply for a visa with unconditional letter to avoid rejection. But in some straightforward cases the students may apply with conditional letters as well. For example where the condition is to just submit sealed envelope of university transcripts. The visa officer can see that the applicant has attached a copy of university transcripts in visa application and hopefully would have dispatched the sealed envelope to university. In such cases, the visa officer may entertain the conditional letter.

In your case WES is involved so you must first obtain the unconditional letter before filing application for visa.
Thank You for your reply. I’m worried that I’ll not be able to complete my visa procedure in a month’s time for Winter 2019. Could you please give me your suggestions on this?

jasz_blr

May 28, 2018
Thank You for your reply. I’m worried that I’ll not be able to complete my visa procedure in a month’s time for Winter 2019. Could you please give me your suggestions on this?
As I had said earlier - You can ask program coordinator of your department to defer your admission, citing the reason of short visa application window and very short time to arrange funds. They should be able to defer to either Summer or Fall term 2019.

Kamal@90318

Star Member
Nov 18, 2018
I applied for Winter 2019 on 29 August 2018 for MASc (Civil Engineering) in Carleton University.
On 10th Sept my status change to "Review in Progress by Department"
On 23rd Oct change to "Recommended for Assesement"
On 13th Nov it changes to back "Review in Progress by Department"
On 14th Nov change to "Review in "review in progress by faculty of graduate and postdoctoral affairs"
on 16th Nov "Application Withdrawn"
and Automatically New application generated for Fall 2019 and degree change to "Master of Engineering"
Status is "Application Approved" for Fall 2019.

Now I am totally confusing I have three option from different universities for Winter 2019.
1. University of Texas, Arlington.
2. California State University, Long Beach.
3. California State University, Fresno.

Please suggest What can I do? and Which one should I choose?

jasz_blr

May 28, 2018
I applied for Winter 2019 on 29 August 2018 for MASc (Civil Engineering) in Carleton University.
On 10th Sept my status change to "Review in Progress by Department"
On 23rd Oct change to "Recommended for Assesement"
On 13th Nov it changes to back "Review in Progress by Department"
On 14th Nov change to "Review in "review in progress by faculty of graduate and postdoctoral affairs"
on 16th Nov "Application Withdrawn"
and Automatically New application generated for Fall 2019 and degree change to "Master of Engineering"
Status is "Application Approved" for Fall 2019.

Now I am totally confusing I have three option from different universities for Winter 2019.
1. University of Texas, Arlington.
2. California State University, Long Beach.
3. California State University, Fresno.

Please suggest What can I do? and Which one should I choose?
As you said, you have offer from 3 universities in US. If you wish to start in Winter then you have to opt from those 3 options. If you can wait till Sept 2019 then you may join Carleton. It is up to you to decide which path you want to go.

There is not much difference between MEngg or MASc at Carleton. In MEngg you may have to take 10 courses towards completion of your Masters. For MASc you may have to take 8 courses and do 1 thesis. The courses that you may take in MEngg or MASc are same. If you have plan to do PhD in future then you have to go for MASc. The MEngg. won't be entertained. You may contact department and ask to reconsider your application for MASc instead of MEngg. You have to write a good essay to convince them. You should check with the department why they changed your application from MASc to MEngg. Ask them if it was done by mistake or intentionally. One benefit of MASc is that you may apply for scholarship. There is no scholarship for MEngg at Carleton.

With all that being said, you should compare the education and living cost between US and Canada. I believe the Masters in US may cost more. Studying in Texas can cost less than California. The real estate prices and rentals are sky rocketing in California. You should explore and do some Mathematics to work out what is best for you.

Good luck !

ankita.study

Oct 29, 2018
Hi All ,
Can someone please review my profile for Carleton University's MEng with Data Science Specialization .
B.Tech in Electronics & Communications -70%
IELTS score - 7.5
IT Experience- 6 years

Thanks.
P.S- Any suggestions about any other good colleges where I can have a good chance would be highly appreciated !!

jasz_blr

May 28, 2018
Hi All ,
Can someone please review my profile for Carleton University's MEng with Data Science Specialization .
B.Tech in Electronics & Communications -70%
IELTS score - 7.5
IT Experience- 6 years

Thanks.
P.S- Any suggestions about any other good colleges where I can have a good chance would be highly appreciated !!
My 2 cents:
1. There are 20 seats.
2. Your profile won't make it.
3. The courses that a Data Science Specialization student would take, are available to register for non data science students as well.
4. It is not a Data Science in real essence. Just a fob, to ride on tide.

Data Science has become too much of a fashion these days. Every other guy wants to become data scientist. Few years back, until lehman brothers went bankrupt, every other guy wanted to be an Investment banker. This bubble is also waiting to be burst. The enormous lot of so called data scientist which has been created in very short span of time are hardly yielding anything meaningful from business point of view. At some point they will create back-pressure on investors and will be handed pink slip.

Data Science is different ball-game for niche fellas. There are blogs with big debates on what it takes to become data scientist. At the minimum, if an individual doesn't have chiseled mathematical skills and acumen to design algorithms to solve real world problems then stay away from it. Otherwise, at later point of time in the career you would hit a dead end.

There is also a breed of data scientist who import libraries, do linear regression and remain lost in 'random forest'. I am not sure how long can they survive in industry by doing that. But, companies like Facebook, Microsoft, IBM, Google etc... exactly want this kind of lot. Otherwise, who will use their libraries/framework/ecosystem which is created by their core scientists.

If you don't have an ideal genome of PhD in you then don't foray into this elusive domain. Do a self-evalution between your aspirations and capabilities. Once embarked and later if you can't keep pace with time to deliver what is expected of you then it will take a toll on your career.

The career of data engineer can be far satisfying and rewarding then falling for the fad of data science.

Reactions: Simmidas