+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Carleton, Brock, MUN, VIU decisions

MiteshS94

Dec 29, 2018
I think after the deadline, 15 days. I am not sure though. Its my wife who applied for M.ed(ISP). Will check and let you know. Did you submit your application through online portal? What status it displays there. I read a comment on FB about they not replying and stuff. I think Unis should at least tell the candidate whether accepted or rejected. My wife is going crazy here. She really liked the university and program.
Good for your wife. Yeah. Submitted it online. Actually, applied through an agency. And they are saying that the process has slowed down and many students who had applied before me still haven't received any reply from their side.

Kenny76

Star Member
Aug 7, 2017
Good for your wife. Yeah. Submitted it online. Actually, applied through an agency. And they are saying that the process has slowed down and many students who had applied before me still haven't received any reply from their side.

Which agents you applied through and when is your course starting?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No. It does not require GMAT. I heard totally the opposite of what you said on this forum itself that VIU is quite well known among the interviewers and that adds a plus point for placements.
Who told you this? A consultant? You don't have to believe me but not having GMAT requirement while almost all other schools do make it much easier to get into. I am trying to steer people to better institutions so they will have better opportunities once they graduate.

Reactions: Sumesthkr

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The main grouse against VIU is that it caters to international students. Can someone show me a University or a college in Canada that doesn't or does not wish to.
International students bring a lot of talent and ideas on board and this leads to an atmosphere where you can learn much more. If the term international student is being used as an euphemism for Indian or Chinese students then my friend I would request you to look very carefully at the organisational structure of top or upcoming companies you will find us international students who have contributed or contributing to its rise.
Coming to VIU it is an institution that is gaining in recognition and reputation compared to some that are content to rest on their laurels. Agreed that it may not be an Ivy league institution but it will eventually get there.
If you are coming to Canada to study why would you want to go to a school which has a large percentage of international students? The whole point is to go get a Canadian education and to transition to the Canadian job market. Consultants recommend a few schools where entry standards are lower and they likely get a kickback because they want to be known as someone who successfully gets their students into Canadian schools. Consultants don't care if you are going to get a good education that will lead to a good job in Canada. There is a huge percentage of international students at UBC but I would highly recommend UBC.

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
Has anyone thought about this from the point of view of an international student. He or she wants a better education than what is available in the home country. With a limitation on budget they are trying to get a Canadian education that they can afford.
The point of steering to a better institution is well taken but 99% of international student do not have a luxury of having deep pockets.
UBC MBA cost is CDN 137,025 source (https://www.sauder.ubc.ca/Programs/MBA/MBA_Full_Time/Admissions/International_Applicants) while a VIU dual degree option is CDN 52,750(tuition 37750+15000 cost of living) source (https://international.viu.ca/fees).
The difference in Indian rupees is a cool 4.5 million (45 lakhs).
As for VIU it may have lower entry standards but it certainly does not have lower standard of education.
All in all opinions are dime a dozen mine included . My opinion for what it is worth is : A favourable Cost benefit ratio may look good on paper but the bottom line is can I meet the cost.
As for transition and better future look no further than the early settlers who did not have any fancy education but the determination and grit which helped them succeed. If you can afford the best colleges you definitely should opt for them but if not then play the cards that life has dealt you.

Kenny76

Star Member
Aug 7, 2017
If you are coming to Canada to study why would you want to go to a school which has a large percentage of international students? The whole point is to go get a Canadian education and to transition to the Canadian job market. Consultants recommend a few schools where entry standards are lower and they likely get a kickback because they want to be known as someone who successfully gets their students into Canadian schools. Consultants don't care if you are going to get a good education that will lead to a good job in Canada. There is a huge percentage of international students at UBC but I would highly recommend UBC.
I agree with your post but just one point on the side. Not everybody is looking to settle in CANADA, at least not in our case. Though we did think about it but decided against it due to some reasons. My wife currently working as a ECE in INDIA and she earns a pittance. She is a MBA HR and has a one year diploma from a Montessori institute. She lacks a university degree in education and If she starts now, it will take at least 4 years for her to get an M.ed, whereas in Canada it will take only 1.5 years. She will get at least a 500% raise when she comes back to INDIA and we can recover all our expenditure in 3 years so its kinda no brainier for us.

But as it turns out its not so simple. We have kept our eggs in only 2 baskets so to say. She got really hopeful after Brock's interview and did not apply for any other Unis apart from Thompson River. Hope she gets LOA from any one university.

Just wanted to present a point but I wholeheartedly agree, If you are spending so much money. Try to get in a best institute as much as you can.

MiteshS94

Dec 29, 2018
Who told you this? A consultant? You don't have to believe me but not having GMAT requirement while almost all other schools do make it much easier to get into. I am trying to steer people to better institutions so they will have better opportunities once they graduate.
No. Actually, I read that on this forum itself few days ago

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I agree with your post but just one point on the side. Not everybody is looking to settle in CANADA, at least not in our case. Though we did think about it but decided against it due to some reasons. My wife currently working as a ECE in INDIA and she earns a pittance. She is a MBA HR and has a one year diploma from a Montessori institute. She lacks a university degree in education and If she starts now, it will take at least 4 years for her to get an M.ed, whereas in Canada it will take only 1.5 years. She will get at least a 500% raise when she comes back to INDIA and we can recover all our expenditure in 3 years so its kinda no brainier for us.

But as it turns out its not so simple. We have kept our eggs in only 2 baskets so to say. She got really hopeful after Brock's interview and did not apply for any other Unis apart from Thompson River. Hope she gets LOA from any one university.

Just wanted to present a point but I wholeheartedly agree, If you are spending so much money. Try to get in a best institute as much as you can.
TRU is one of the other universities made up of mostly international students. Teaching degrees are very competitive in Canada. TRU isn't teachers college if I remember correctly but is some other form of teaching degree.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Has anyone thought about this from the point of view of an international student. He or she wants a better education than what is available in the home country. With a limitation on budget they are trying to get a Canadian education that they can afford.
The point of steering to a better institution is well taken but 99% of international student do not have a luxury of having deep pockets.
UBC MBA cost is CDN 137,025 source (https://www.sauder.ubc.ca/Programs/MBA/MBA_Full_Time/Admissions/International_Applicants) while a VIU dual degree option is CDN 52,750(tuition 37750+15000 cost of living) source (https://international.viu.ca/fees).
The difference in Indian rupees is a cool 4.5 million (45 lakhs).
As for VIU it may have lower entry standards but it certainly does not have lower standard of education.
All in all opinions are dime a dozen mine included . My opinion for what it is worth is : A favourable Cost benefit ratio may look good on paper but the bottom line is can I meet the cost.
As for transition and better future look no further than the early settlers who did not have any fancy education but the determination and grit which helped them succeed. If you can afford the best colleges you definitely should opt for them but if not then play the cards that life has dealt you.
The whole point is why pay 50K for a degree that will be disregarded by most employers. A college degree from a good institution might be better value. Not sure why you feel that VIU has the same quality education. There are university rankings. I've attached some reviews.

https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/campusRatings.jsp?sid=1437

MiteshS94

Dec 29, 2018
TRU is one of the other universities made up of mostly international students. Teaching degrees are very competitive in Canada. TRU isn't teachers college if I remember correctly but is some other form of teaching degree.
What is TRU then?

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
The whole point is why pay 50K for a degree that will be disregarded by most employers. A college degree from a good institution might be better value. Not sure why you feel that VIU has the same quality education. There are university rankings. I've attached some reviews.

https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/campusRatings.jsp?sid=1437
I am a current student at VIU and much better placed to comment rather than someone who is relying on third party feedbacks. I have been to many interviews and never was my qualification ever disregarded or questioned. I stumbled upon this forum while seeking advice regarding my parents TRV process and have since realised that maybe my experience would help someone meaningfully. Most people with negative outcomes or due to their biases post negative feedback rather than facing the reality and to base an opinion on these is wrong. As for this thread end of discussion on my part.

Kenny76

Star Member
Aug 7, 2017
Frankly for us it doesn't really matter. My wife has leadership skills and she already have enough experience. Just because of mind set in INDIA and to save time which is too precious for us at this stage we are looking at a Canadian degree. She is not really looking for a teaching job in Canada and she fully understand that M.ed degree won't make her eligible to work as teacher in Canada. Having said that, she was specially looking for a program where there are enough International participation, that is why Brock was first on her list as she gets to meet people from different nationalities and learn about their school system.

International schools pay almost US, Canada salaries in INDIA so it does not make sense to move to Canada, If you are earning same money here.