Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received: 01-11-2010
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
30-11-2011, x-ray delayed (pregnancy), redone on August 31, 2012
I am currently sponsoring my wife under the family category. We are still awaiting the results of her application. Clearly, we would both like to have a couple of children together as soon as possible. Since both my wife and I would likely be employed and busy, we would likely need to hire a caregiver to care for our children while we are at work. In fact, this is what my sister does.

My wife would also like to have her Mom with her here in Canada. Is there a good reason why we couldn't hire her mother as the caregiver? Would she qualify under the caregiver program? Her Mom is a theatre professor at a reputable university in Vladivostok. Her caregiver experience is her role as a mother for 30 years. She would otherwise not qualify under the skilled category; she is 5 points short. Currently, it takes 7 years to qualify under the family category.

Also, am I able to co-sponsor her mother BEFORE the three years has elapsed on the spouse sponsorship?

Thanks for your input.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can read about the requirements for live-in caregivers here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-caregiver.asp
Experience as a mother does not count. I have heard that close relatives are often refused. I am not sure if there is a policy on that.

Applying as a skilled worker, she will get another 5 points once her daughter is a PR. However, she also would need an occupation on the list of most wanted or she needs a job offer.