+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAREGIVER AGENCIES and LAWS?

EmilyMarie

Dec 31, 2008
MISSISSAUGA ONTARIO
I work for a caregiver recruitment agency in Ontario. We have placed many applicants over the years. All have been happy with us and we keep in touch with many of the caregivers and their the families we have worked with. We charge a fee (very small compared to most less then 1500$ and only 500$ is charged when the applicant is overseas and the remainder is paid when the caregiver arrives in Canada (monthly plan).
Our services include:(and not limited to)
    • Westernizing resumes
      Advertising
      long distance calls
      HRSDC paperwork
      Visa Application
      preperation for interview with employer and with Canadian embasy
      pick up from airport if employer is unable and if at Toronto (not offered out of province)
      referals to services for new immigrants
      Follow up to make sure they are happy with new employer and if not a new employer is found free of charge
The most difficult task is to find an employer who is willing to wait 6 months for a caregiver, hire without even meeting the nanny, apply for the LMO which is very very hard. HRSDC has made it very difficult to get approved - on top of advertising you need to get a gaurentor to confirm who you are ( a real pain and many employers dont want to bother).

Well lately, 2 of our nannies are refusing to pay us and one is threatening to sue us saying that it is illegal to charge for nanny placement. I'm shocked I cant beleive they are doing this to us. If they went anywhere else they would have paid 5000$ plus and may not even of found a real employer. We hear so many horror stories of nannies arriving at the airport and no one picking them up and the "agencies" nowhere to be found. We are honest and work very hard.

My question is: is it illegal to charge to place a caregiver in Alberta? We are in Ontario so the laws are different. ITs not like they are paying for a placement, they are paying for the services that will hopefully lead to finding an employer (all over canada).
What services can we charge in the Western provinces?
Should the company give back the deposits or continue to ask for the balance?
Thanks you!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

EmilyMarie said:
I work for a caregiver recruitment agency in Ontario. We have placed many applicants over the years. All have been happy with us and we keep in touch with many of the caregivers and their the families we have worked with. We charge a fee (very small compared to most less then 1500$ and only 500$ is charged when the applicant is overseas and the remainder is paid when the caregiver arrives in Canada (monthly plan).
Our services include:(and not limited to)
    • Westernizing resumes
      Advertising
      long distance calls
      HRSDC paperwork
      Visa Application
      preperation for interview with employer and with Canadian embasy
      pick up from airport if employer is unable and if at Toronto (not offered out of province)
      referals to services for new immigrants
      Follow up to make sure they are happy with new employer and if not a new employer is found free of charge
The most difficult task is to find an employer who is willing to wait 6 months for a caregiver, hire without even meeting the nanny, apply for the LMO which is very very hard. HRSDC has made it very difficult to get approved - on top of advertising you need to get a gaurentor to confirm who you are ( a real pain and many employers dont want to bother).

Well lately, 2 of our nannies are refusing to pay us and one is threatening to sue us saying that it is illegal to charge for nanny placement. I'm shocked I cant beleive they are doing this to us. If they went anywhere else they would have paid 5000$ plus and may not even of found a real employer. We hear so many horror stories of nannies arriving at the airport and no one picking them up and the "agencies" nowhere to be found. We are honest and work very hard.

My question is: is it illegal to charge to place a caregiver in Alberta? We are in Ontario so the laws are different. ITs not like they are paying for a placement, they are paying for the services that will hopefully lead to finding an employer (all over canada).
What services can we charge in the Western provinces?
Should the company give back the deposits or continue to ask for the balance?
Thanks you!
1. It is illegal in BC, Alberta,Manitoba and Saskchewan to charge an employee a recruitment fee, under Alberta Fair Trading Act and the British Columbia Employment Standards Act. You probably should talk to a lawyer.

PMM

PMM

Adrianne

Jul 19, 2009
Hi Emily Marie,

Do you have any Genuine agency, that you can recommend? I am in search of an Agency in order to apply in a Caregiver program.

I am presently working here in Hongkong for 15 Years, and currently working for an American Family for 10 years now. I am looking forward to find a job in Canada, if you can help me out for a Canadian agency and their mode of payments, i will appreciate it very much.

I have 17 Years of experienced in Childcare and Housekeeping.

I will be looking forward to your reply.

Thank you very much.

EmilyMarie

Dec 31, 2008
MISSISSAUGA ONTARIO
Hi Adrianne:
Thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately, we are not recruiting anyone right now.
We still have quite a few applicants to place.
Not enough employers :(
The problem we have is many people do not like to wait 3-6 months (they want local)...Some The shady agencies bring in caregivers under false employers so they have local nannies avaliable.
I am not sure who to recommend as I do not know what other agencies charge.
There are lots here who charge $5000 plus so be careful.
Also, don't pay anything until you have your LMO and all required documents (NOA etc).
Good luck!

Adrianne

Jul 19, 2009
Thanks for the prompt reply Emily, you were right, about those agencies, that's why i am searching for the best one and with affordable agency....There are a lot of Agencies who come here to give orientation, but i guess they will be charging so much, that's why i want to apply as direct as possible, cause i can process my own papers here by myself, the only problem is i need agency from there who will find me a job.

Anyway, thanks once again, appreciated. If you happen to recruit someone from overseas in a later date, please let me know at once. My email ad is adrianne_ville@yahoo.com I am not really in a hurry, so i don't mind waiting.

Have a great day

Adrianne

saver

Jun 17, 2009
emily,

hi we are presently in victoria right now and we want to get another job,bec we are not happy anymore with our employer,we are working in a hotel as housekeeper.our visa is until dec of 2010 same with our work permit.are you in need of a housekeeper?Thanks and more power.

coffeegirl

Jan 15, 2012
Hello emily,

Good day. I would like to apply as caregiver in Canada. I am a nurse from the Philippines but is currently living here in Singapore. Please email me @g_ethan21@yahoo.com just in case. Actually i dont know of any agency in Singapore who are bringing caregivers to canada, but i am willing to travel to Hongkong if someone could recommend a reliable agency(just to start my application).Thank you!

Yours sincerely,
ej