+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CARE SERVICES FOR SPONSORED PARENTS

lecter

Star Member
Feb 19, 2012
This is far into the future and I'm posting to plan ahead of time.

Question: For those who sponsored their parents years ago and are now needing constant care at home or at a facility what were/are the options?
Are nursing home, home care services considered social assistance?

Requirement: Sponsors are financially responsible for 20 years.

Province is either BC or Ontario.

We ought to plan ahead and be aware of our options so we all can be financially prepared.

The fact that the Canadian govt offers this option to sponsor parents and be reunited is already a gift, therefore we cannot burden the system. It is also unfair for those seniors who worked their lives to help build Canada only to have their govt budget be reduced to accomodate the needs of the recently landed seniors who never worked in Canada.

Lets answer this question as it is and try not to be too political.

THANK YOU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaibigan

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020

Question: For those who sponsored their parents years ago and are now needing constant care at home or at a facility what were/are the options?

I have no particular knowledge here, but my guess is those things are not considered social assistance. Otherwise, the numbers on the social assistance rolls in Canada are a lot higher than what is generally thought.

In the main, I am responding to your post as I find it admirably fair-minded, particularly as captured in these words:

The fact that the Canadian govt offers this option to sponsor parents and be reunited is already a gift, therefore we cannot burden the system. It is also unfair for those seniors who worked their lives to help build Canada only to have their govt budget be reduced to accomodate the needs of the recently landed seniors who never worked in Canada.
Not many think like that. The more common attitude seems to be "What can we get someone else to pay for?"

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Requirement: Sponsors are financially responsible for 20 years.

Province is either BC or Ontario.

We ought to plan ahead and be aware of our options so we all can be financially prepared.

Lets answer this question as it is and try not to be too political.

THANK YOU.
You are expected to pay the bed fee for longterm care because most sponsored parents will have no pension or minimAl government payments to cover the cost. Children need to be prepared to pay 2.2.5k/month for for a parent in LTC. They will have to deemed sick enough to enter public LTC homes. Many enter private retirement homes first but the cost is typically 8K+/month. When it comes to care at home families provide the majority of care at home. You may qualify for more care for a short period of time like end of life but families should not be expecting that they will receiving 24/7 coverage in their home. Many families end up paying out of pocket for care differences between what the family can do and what the province can provide. You also will need to pay to rent or buy equipment which can get quite pricey and then there are things like incontinence supplies which can also end up being quite pricey over the longterm. In general getting older is expensive.

Reactions: YVR123