+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car w/ Lien on B4 list to be exported from US to Canada in the future?

shankster87

Nov 16, 2015
Ok, so I've done some searching around the forum and having not found some direct relevant answers, I figured I'd ask this question.

A little context: I'm in the US right now. So, I got the passport request and I'm expecting the confirmation of permanent residence letter by end of this week (give or take). I intend to do a quick landing at Pearson some time soon and then return to the United States for about a year before I move to Canada permanently.

I currently have a car here in the States with a lien on it.

Here's my question about my current financed car that I intend to take to Canada when I move permanently some time late next year:

- When providing the B4 letter with the car listed on it during landing (which will be at the Pearson International airport), do I need to carry any additional documents related to the car? I know it is good to carry the title, registration etc but the title is with the financing bank and it might be a pain to get it from them. I do have other documentation though (registration, insurance, sale documents etc). Is the title absolutely required? Again, I am not importing/exporting the car at landing time. I am only trying to show it on the list so I can export/import it duty free when I move permanently.

I understand that replies to other related questions have pointed out that the export / import process is a pain (which it actually isn't if it is a fairly new car). I am willing to make the effort to take the car across the border (kind of got a sweet deal on the car and absolutely love the car). I will be paying the car off and obtaining a clear title free of any liens in the US before I export/import it.

One other question: I understand that for jewellery, we need to take pictures and stuff and attach it to the B4 but what about silver bars and gold coins? I invested in a bunch of these metals and would like to take them with me to Canada when I move there permanently. Does the same take-photo-attach-to-B4 apply for these as well? I have all receipts for these purchases that I will be carrying with me, just in case. If not, can someone point me to a useful resource about the terms and conditions of taking these metals across the border possibly as settlers' effects?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could provide some insight.

Thanks!

vins1

May 26, 2009
They will not ask for the car title at the time of landing (at least they did not ask me). It will be required only when you export/import it.

Photos of all jewelry can be attached to the list of goods to follow (including coins).

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
car documentation is not required for the goods to follow form, it will only be required at the time of the import.

pictures are not required for declarations, though they are good to have in case of issue. if appraisals are available, it is a good idea to include them as well.