+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car rental, with G1, IDL & IDP

teemo10

Jan 7, 2017
Hey All,

Moving to Toronto in August permanently, looking to rent a car for the first month of my stay. I had done a soft-landing in March, and obtained my G1 license. I also have my international driving license (from a middle east country), and a valid international driving permit.

I would like to inquire on the legality of renting a car for the first month, with my intentional driving license or my international driving permit, given that I am permanent resident and a holder of a G1 license.

Anyone had a similar situation?

Thank you in advance.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hey All,

Moving to Toronto in August permanently, looking to rent a car for the first month of my stay. I had done a soft-landing in March, and obtained my G1 license. I also have my international driving license (from a middle east country), and a valid international driving permit.

I would like to inquire on the legality of renting a car for the first month, with my intentional driving license or my international driving permit, given that I am permanent resident and a holder of a G1 license.

Anyone had a similar situation?

Thank you in advance.
My experience has been the following: I was driving last year on Dubai driving license until 3 months. I had the G1 as soon as I arrived in Canada.
I was never asked by the rental co. to confirm that I had a G1 or so on... I had an IDP, they did not even bother seeing it, all they say was the Dubai DL and rented me the car.
with G1 anyhow you are not allowed to drive in Canada...

teemo10

Jan 7, 2017
Thanks, I'll probably follow en-suite.

My experience has been the following: I was driving last year on Dubai driving license until 3 months. I had the G1 as soon as I arrived in Canada.
I was never asked by the rental co. to confirm that I had a G1 or so on... I had an IDP, they did not even bother seeing it, all they say was the Dubai DL and rented me the car.
with G1 anyhow you are not allowed to drive in Canada...

fazilasadiq

Dec 30, 2017
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-05-2018
you can rent a car based on IDP or better if you have 2+ yrs of experience apply for direct G license. They will ask you to give G1 test (which you have already given) and ask you to give test for G. if you pass you will get full license if not then you have to give test for G2. you can give several attempts for G2 tests. You just have to bring along driving history from Maroor (driving authority) and have to get it translated from the consulate or authorized translators in Canada