14-04-2011
Med's Done....
02-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-12-2011
Hi everybody,
maybe some of you will be able to help us. My American husband should land pretty soon now (hopefully in the next few weeks/months) and today he called his car loan company to have some information regarding the importation of his vehicle. The woman on the phone told him he'd need a "car loan transport form", but unfortunately we can't find any information about where and how to get it. Have some of you been in that situation ? what did you do ?
Also they want a shipping insurance (???) and a proof of the insurance of that car in Canada. But how can we insure in Canada a car that is not even already in Canada ? Any help would be greatly appreciated :) I thought importing your car was something relatively simple...
Unfortunately we cannot pay off the whole loan right now so we have to stick with the loan company.

Thanks !

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I suggest you send a PM to Allison about importing a US car to Canada:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/can-we-drive-our-vehicle-to-canada-when-spouse-lands-t89846.0.html;msg1141598#msg1141598

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I owned my vehicle when I did the import/export thing, so I can not speak from personal experience, but here is what I have learned while participating on the forum.

First, to export a vehicle with a car loan you must have the title holder (loan company) write a letter giving permission for the car to be exported to Canada. From the CPB (American border protection) website the applicable requirements for exportation are...

For U.S. Titled Vehicles
i. Vehicles issued an original certificate of title.
For used, self-propelled vehicles issued, by any jurisdiction in the United States, a Certificate of Title or a Salvage Title that remains in force, the owner must provide to Customs the original Certificate of Title or a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title and two complete copies of the original Certificate of Title or the Certified Copy of the original.

ii. Where title evidences third-party ownership/claims.
If the used, self-propelled vehicle is leased or a recorded lien exists in the U.S., in addition to complying with paragraph (i) of this section, the provisional owner must provide to Customs a separate writing from the third-party-in interest which expressly provides that the subject vehicle may be exported. This writing must be on the third-party's letterhead paper and contain a complete description of the vehicle including the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), the name of the owner or lienholder of the leased vehicle, and the telephone numbers at which that owner or lienholder may be contacted and must bear an original signature of the third-party and state the date it was signed.

So you will have to submit a title and a letter to the export office, and you should submit those 72 hours before exportation (I do believe they accept fax, but I suggest you call the location where you plan to cross the border to ask. Also ask their hours of operation!! I crossed in Queenston/Lewiston and their hours were M-F, 8-4 only).

I have not heard of a "car loan transport form" so I would call the woman back and ask her who requires it. If it is the loan company, then ask her to provide it. If she thinks it is someone else, I would follow up on her lead, but I think she may be misinformed. All you need is title and letter as per the export requirement regs.

About insurance...are you planning to ship the vehicle or drive it yourselves? If you do ship, then the company who provides the service should be able to provide you (or connect you to) shipping insurance. If you are planning to drive it over yourselves, have your husband call his US insurance carrier to see if the car is currently covered in Canada. If so, ask them to send a letter specifically verifying that the vehicle will be covered in Canada. If not, explain the situation and attempt to buy coverage from his current provider to cover the period in which the car will be in Canada but not yet insured here. By the way, once you begin the import process with RIV, he has 45 days to complete the process and get the car registered and covered in Canada. He should provide that info to the insurance agent so that they are aware of the short duration of the extended coverage. My insurance carrier in the US was Allstate and my vehicle (registered in South Carolina) was covered while I was a visitor in Canada. I also went with Allstate for my CAN coverage as they provided the best rate of the several quotes I got here.

While he is talking to his insurance agent, tell your husband to request a 10 year insurance claims record and get a 10 year driving record from his department of motor vehicles. These docs will be helpful when he gets license and insurance here in Canada. Also while still in the US, he should get a recall check done on the vehicle and have any recall work done. Then just before importing, request the recall clearance letter that he will need for the RIV process.

I hope that helps. If not, please feel free to post here or PM me. I can tell you about the costs I incurred importing my car to Ontario (I live in Mississauga).

Allison

pcdmontreal

May 20, 2011
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2011
AOR Received.
No AOR
File Transfer...
14-04-2011
Med's Done....
02-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-12-2011
Thanks Steaky ;)

And thank you very much Allison for all the precious information. Actually I think we'll pay off the car, that way everything will be much more easier. We will look more into the importation stuff as soon as we receive the ppr or copr. I really appreciate you help, I will PM if I need more info !

Thanks again