no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
13 nov, a day before the visa expires
my fellow immigrants, i just came to toronto last week and was wondering
that is it true that car insurance costs $500 bucks a month, sometime probably even 700...
that cost is probably for 1 year across the border....
Is it something true or i am getting scammed.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is something true and is something not advertised to immigrants when they decide to come to Canada

AMJ

Mar 2, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
My friend who'd recently migrated to Toronto, Canada, pays C$5000.00 a year as insurance for his car which was bought for C$5000.00.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
aashay12 said:
that is it true that car insurance costs $500 bucks a month, sometime probably even 700...
This is quite normal. Unfortunately...

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
If you choose to come to Toronto, you'd better be ready to take on this expense. Its presumably better in other provinces, I got an insurance quote for $149/month in Vancouver.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
polara69 said:
I'm on $115.25 a month in Vancouver..
I find it quite funny when people compare the two cities and end up saying that Vancouver is the expensive one. But hey, we don't have to pay $500/month for useless car insurance!

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jazibkg said:
I find it quite funny when people compare the two cities and end up saying that Vancouver is the expensive one. But hey, we don't have to pay $500/month for useless car insurance!
Exactly. Hopefully there are a lot more criteria when deciding on which city to live in, or call home, than car insurance. Manitoba Public Insurance is an example of (in my experience) very reasonable car insurance - whether or not one wants to live in Winnipeg or Brandon will be a choice driven by several factors.

We are paying $250 a month in Edmonton for two vehicles with two registered drivers. From what I have gathered in discussions with other residents, the premium is high BUT given the age of our licenses, this is the best we could do.

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aashay12 said:
Contact Intact, you will get it for $1000/2years and you could get 25/100 of if you apply to their "mydriving" program after six months.
Best regards,

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
I am paying auto insurance $170/month in mississauga. Is it reasonable. How can I beat it more? Please advice as we should always strive for a penny saving. Just want to undrestand whats' the minimum one can hit if he gets best of best rate.

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
blueshirt said:
I am paying auto insurance $170/month in mississauga. Is it reasonable. How can I beat it more? Please advice as we should always strive for a penny saving. Just want to undrestand whats' the minimum one can hit if he gets best of best rate.
Call Intact. I am paying $40/month for my SUV. In addition, you may get 25% off if you become member of their "mydriving" program.
Best regards,

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
I just read the review its public opinion so its just someones point of view "What a bunch of crooked jerks. If you are insured with them and have a claim, best of luck. Be prepared for delay after delay, stress, and headaches. We've never been treated so poorly.". It may be bad publicity so like your point of view since you are already with them.

some time one can get low rates by high deductible or companies which are not so fair when it comes to claims.

beauhoe said:
Call Intact. I am paying $40/month for my SUV. In addition, you may get 25% off if you become member of their "mydriving" program.
Best regards,

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
blueshirt said:
I just read the review its public opinion so its just someones point of view "What a bunch of crooked jerks. If you are insured with them and have a claim, best of luck. Be prepared for delay after delay, stress, and headaches. We've never been treated so poorly.". It may be bad publicity so like your point of view since you are already with them.

some time one can get low rates by high deductible or companies which are not so fair when it comes to claims.
Thanks for the comment. However, let me assure you that my family members and friends are with this Company and never complain. Taking your advice in consideration, I will do more shopping next time.
Cheers,

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
I paid $472/month for my $2,500 car when I first got here last year. No comprehensive, no collision coverage!

Some quotes even reached $780/month haha.

Now I pay $365 for 2 cars (1 brand new, 1 old).

Hopefully next year it gets lower.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
fdk511 said:
Exactly. Hopefully there are a lot more criteria when deciding on which city to live in, or call home, than car insurance. Manitoba Public Insurance is an example of (in my experience) very reasonable car insurance - whether or not one wants to live in Winnipeg or Brandon will be a choice driven by several factors.

We are paying $250 a month in Edmonton for two vehicles with two registered drivers. From what I have gathered in discussions with other residents, the premium is high BUT given the age of our licenses, this is the best we could do.
I actually meant that Vancouver in reality is no more expensive than Toronto is (car insurance being a good example, even transit is cheaper in Vancouver). People have a misconception that they'll move somewhere and save money. It evens out in the end, one thing will be cheaper in one city, whilst expensive in the other.