+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car insurance in ontario

Anuradh

Mar 8, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi..we are new in Canada..want to know can we reduce car insurance on the basis of no claim history of auto insurance in home country..it is available in bc..I have checked on Icbc website..is it possible in Ontario too??

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Not regulated. Different insurers react differently. Your best option is to speak to the insurer you intend to do business with in Ontario and find out if they will accept your no claim history and what they would require to prove it.

Good luck

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NetMecca said:
Not regulated. Different insurers react differently. Your best option is to speak to the insurer you intend to do business with in Ontario and find out if they will accept your no claim history and what they would require to prove it.

Good luck
I don't think you can use your past insurance history to get better rates in Canada. Thats really not how insurance works. There are various factors that need to be considered, such as location, winter tires, type of car, model of car, etc

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
newtone said:
I don't think you can use your past insurance history to get better rates in Canada. Thats really not how insurance works. There are various factors that need to be considered, such as location, winter tires, type of car, model of car, etc
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/moving-from-usa-to-canada-records-that-would-help-t54512.0.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/cheap-car-insurance-in-toronto-for-newcomers-t269591.0.html

If googled properly then you will get several threads mentioning than "past insurance history" will help in getting better rates in Canada.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
newtone said:
actually that's EXACTLY how insurance works. if a company sees past insurance claims, they certainly will offer coverage at a higher rate. For example, i had 2 incidents on my record. Most insurance companies saw the 2 incidents and considered them both "at fault", which drove the proposed rate to $300+/month. Going through a broker, i found a company that only considered 1 incident "at fault" and gave me a rate under $100/month. Insurance companies DEFINITELY use insurance and driving history to determine rates. In Ontario, it's required to submit this information to get insurance.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The OP is asking if history from "home country" can be accepted. Assuming home country is not Canada nor USA because US and Canada share same data

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
newtone said:
The OP is asking if history from "home country" can be accepted. Assuming home country is not Canada nor USA because US and Canada share same data
great, and as that question was answered correctly by others, i was responding to your post about insurance companies not using history to determine insurance rates - which is not accurate. While I can't speak to how it works in other provinces, that is certainly not the case in Ontario. Which country insurance companies accept histories from is dependant on the insurance company.

Also, if you are suggesting US and Canada freely share this type of information, you are poorly misguided. US and Canada share immigration entry/exit information for national security purposes. As a US citizen who is now a Canadian PR, I can tell you, they don't share information about every single aspect of people's lives, such as insurance, tax obligations, employment, income, property, credit, etc. A person has to give their permission or request to share this information.

Canadian insurance companies can't just get US insurance records. it doesn't work like that. the Canadian insurance company requires the person seeking insurance to provide a history from their previous insurer and where they were previously licensed. LEGALLY, these reports must be obtained by the driver themselves. they accept this information from a variety of countries, not just the US. Whether a specific company accepts it from a particular country is up to that insurance company. In ontario, it is not a one size fits all situation.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
APPNOV2014NY said:
Totally irrelevant to this thread but:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/nhncdrprtng/fq-eng.html
if i'm not mistaken, this is regarding notification of world wide bank accounts. it's not about general sharing of tax information. it is specific to countering money-laundering i believe.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
newtone said:
My home country was accepted, no issues here. Got a straight 35% discount in BC.

viveksharma

Feb 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
Doc's Request.
PCC sent with Medicals
Nomination.....
01-10-2014
AOR Received.
Not Received
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Guess mid Jun-2016
Med's Request
18-11-2014
Med's Done....
24-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
newtone said:
In BC, if you can show no claim certificate from your insurance company ( of your home country) then you get 5% discount for each year - max 40%. This is what I was told by an ICBC agent.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
From my experience a fair number of insurers will accept claims history from another country. Though I have also found that some will cap it at 2 or 3 years no matter if your history is 5-6 years or longer.

There are several version of this depending on insurers. Best approach is to call someone and ask. Also ask what they will accept as evidence of such, and what they will give you in no claim benefit.

Good luck

goyalneha60

Star Member
Aug 12, 2018
Hi All

i have to fly canada this month. can anyone please share with me how does this no claim letter looks like so that i can arrange and tak along. Is there any sample anyone can share please? Thank you

saddlepatch

Star Member
Oct 1, 2012
Sun City Center, Florida
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
19-11-2018
Doc's Request.
02-26-2019
AOR Received.
21-01-2019
Med's Request
05-02-2019
Med's Done....
08-02-2019
Passport Req..
22-03-2019
I only have two claims on my record for windshield repair (1 time replace) but both are covered under my insurances policy and not deductible had to be paid.

Does anyone have experience with this kinda claim and curious how much it up'd their insurance costs? I would hope not by a lot, giving that it was something so minor. The only reason why the windshield had to be replaced was because the company doing the chip repaired screwed up.