+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

car insurance for newcomers

zinneken

Aug 6, 2013
I'm wondering if anyone can share who they used for their newcomer's car insurance? Or if anyone found an insurer that would accept previous out of canada & us driving years/experience?

EDIT: location in Nova Scotia

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
yes, most, if not all, canada insurers will use US experience to issue insurance. they will most likely require you to have a canadian license, a driving record from the state you are licensed in AND a record of experience from your us insurance agent.

what i learned is if you have 2 or more claims on your insurance in the last 6 years, you may find it difficult to get insurance. if you have multiple claims on your insurance, your best bet is to find a broker or a "high risk insurance agency" to get a quote. the big bank companies will make it difficult, and may even refuse coverage. it took me 5-6 different companies to get an affordable rate.

*my experience is in ontario

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
zinneken said:
I'm wondering if anyone can share who they used for their newcomer's car insurance? Or if anyone found an insurer that would accept previous out of canada & us driving years/experience?
Depends where you live..as Steaky mentioned, in BC you have no choice. When I got to Vancouver I showed them 7 years of no claim status from my previous insurers plus they gave me a further discount for more than 10 years driving. The whole procedure was fairly simple and straight forward.

zinneken

Aug 6, 2013
Edited my original post for the location: Nova Scotia. I wasn't aare there were state specific differences. So, are there any Newcomers to Nova Scotia without driving history in USA or Canada but with a long driving history in Europe that had a good treatment with a particular insurer?

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
zinneken said:
Edited my original post for the location: Nova Scotia. I wasn't aare there were state specific differences. So, are there any Newcomers to Nova Scotia without driving history in USA or Canada but with a long driving history in Europe that had a good treatment with a particular insurer?
You should get a driving history record from your current insurer / licensing office as you may be able to get credit for your driving record (never hurts to try). Nova Scotia has private insurance, so it would be best to shop around and get different quotes when you get there. Nova Scotia also has some of the cheapest insurance rates in the country, so you should be in good hands wherever you go.

(PS In Canada there are Provinces, not States ;))