+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car Import: urgent

akka

Nov 16, 2009
Hi

I came to Canada couple weeks back & with circumstances I have to stay here. I came on my US car & I am PR holder. I did not import the car at that time & I phoned customs office & they said I can import it in Toronto itself. Now I called the Toronto office for appoinment & they are saying I need to go back cross the border & import my car .Is that True or it can be imported within Canada?

Please advise

Akhil

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
You should be able to import it at any Canada Customs office where an officer is on duty accessible to the public. They may want you to have a stamp on the vehicle title showing it was properly exported from the U.S., but that doesn't appear to be an official requirement to import it to Canada. One's experience with CBSA can vary greatly from office to another and even one officer to another. But if you are in Toronto, the US is only about 90 miles away. Unless you are prohibited from entering the US, it doesn't seem like too much trouble to take a day and drive to Niagara Falls. US customs will want you to fax the title to them 72 hours before you cross the border back into Canada to make sure there are no active leans and the car isn't reported stolen. It usually takes about 10 mins once you get there.