July 18th
AOR Received.
August 12th
File Transfer...
September 2nd
Med's Done....
October 9th
Hello friends,

My wife (a recent PR) and I are visiting my in-laws in Maryland, and we have just visited the credit union to pay off our loan for our American car. We now own it 100%, and would like to drive it to Vancouver this week (in time to be back at work a week from today). However, we won't have the title in time to cross the border and import it -- it has to be transferred from the state to us by mail, which will take more time than we have.

Can we bring the car across the border and not import it? We would then re-cross as soon as we have the title and import it then. If not, should we leave our car in Washington state with a friend and bring it across as soon as we have the title?

We have to leave Tuesday or Wednesday given the length of the drive. Please advise!

justinline

May 19, 2009
ecclesiast said:
Hello friends,

My wife (a recent PR) and I are visiting my in-laws in Maryland, and we have just visited the credit union to pay off our loan for our American car. We now own it 100%, and would like to drive it to Vancouver this week (in time to be back at work a week from today). However, we won't have the title in time to cross the border and import it -- it has to be transferred from the state to us by mail, which will take more time than we have.

Can we bring the car across the border and not import it? We would then re-cross as soon as we have the title and import it then. If not, should we leave our car in Washington state with a friend and bring it across as soon as we have the title?

We have to leave Tuesday or Wednesday given the length of the drive. Please advise!

Few years back I imported my vehicle
Few things they checked on Canadian side
-Bill of sale
-Title with the stamp from US Border patrol.
-Letter from lender stating everything is paid
-No pending recall letter

Before that on the US side they checked just the title and stamped it, this is important. Not sure if you dont have the title what are they going to stamp.

I think you need to fill goods to follow list while landing, put the car in the list. Take whatever documents you can, then try to import it. Whichever border crossing you are taking you can call them as well. I remember calling the border post and asking what is the process to import the a car.

Whether you can bring the vehicle in first and recross border second time to import, question still remains. Better call the border post where you planning to cross. I think that should be possible, because lot of people do initial landing and then come back with all their stuff at later date to finally settle. Donot forget to include your car in goods to follow list.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
it is perfectly acceptable to drive a US plated car across the border, no matter if you are a canadian citzen, PR or visitor. it does not have to be imported. if you haven't landed as PR yet, then you will want to wait to import it until then or after so you won't have to pay duty on it. it can be listed on your goods to follow form too. there is no time limit for importing the car. the time issue is specific to us insurance. once the us insurance company finds out the car is in canada long term, it will drop the insurance.

dipica

Aug 21, 2013
SINP
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
24-05-2016
Doc's Request.
18-11-2016
Nomination.....
18-03-2016
AOR Received.
18-08-2016
Med's Request
08-06-2017
Med's Done....
15-06-2017
LANDED..........
Landed
Can we bring US leased car to Canada while stamping for first time at Canadian border?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
dipica said:
Can we bring US leased car to Canada while stamping for first time at Canadian border?
you need to check your lease agreement to see if it allows you to drive the car in canada.