+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car import to USA

mahaan98

Aug 1, 2022
Anyone imported Canada registered vehicle to usa? My car was purchased in usa and I imported to Canada. Now I am moving back. Can I take my documents to the border and get it imported?

tmani_85

Nov 7, 2021
Anyone imported Canada registered vehicle to usa? My car was purchased in usa and I imported to Canada. Now I am moving back. Can I take my documents to the border and get it imported?
hi, I am also in the same boat? We’re you able to import your car in USA?

mahaan98

Aug 1, 2022
hi, I am also in the same boat? We’re you able to import your car in USA?
Hey so you go to dmv in usa and change plates. There is no import process if it was manufactured in the usa. They pull the VIn number for theft identification report. Thats all. No special process like Canada import.

Reactions: Rawhide

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
Hey, so you go to DMV in the USA and change plates. There is no import process if it was manufactured in the USA. They pull the VIN number for the theft identification report. Thats all. No special process like Canada import.
I am in exact same situation - I imported my car to Canada from the USA 4 years back and now when I am returning to the USA need to import it back to the states. My car was manufactured in the USA and was previously registered in Michigan. Going by what you saying I don't have to do anything and just show up at DMV and get a Michigan number plate ?

mahaan98

Aug 1, 2022
I am in exact same situation - I imported my car to Canada from the USA 4 years back and now when I am returning to the USA need to import it back to the states. My car was manufactured in the USA and was previously registered in Michigan. Going by what you saying I don't have to do anything and just show up at DMV and get a Michigan number plate ?
Yes. Before going to the dmv for plates. In my state, they told me I need a usa license and theft inspection report, which you can get in the dmv itself. A report that says vehicle is not stolen.

Reactions: Rawhide

mahaan98

Aug 1, 2022
Yes. Before going to the dmv for plates. In my state, they told me I need a usa license and theft inspection report, which you can get in the dmv itself. A report that says vehicle is not stolen.
You dont need anything in the border for car specifically. Other than declaring it in your import form along with your other belongings .

wink

May 25, 2021
You need to have your original title (issued by the dmv before importing it to Canada) with you during this process? or not required?

mahaan98

Aug 1, 2022
You need to have your original title (issued by the dmv before importing it to Canada) with you during this process? or not required?
I had my title when I imported to Canada. I had to pay off mu car. Forgot if it is mandatory. Please
Check.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
my experience, need a letter to inform the car satisfies US laws and standards, your registration in Canada, custom clear (no tax anyway). go to DMV and get your new plate.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
my experience, need a letter to inform the car satisfies US laws and standards, your registration in Canada, custom clear (no tax anyway). go to DMV and get your new plate.
Hey, may i know how to obtain that letter? Is it the dealership or who?

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
I am in a similar situation but wondering if anyone has shipped their car instead of driving to US. I cannot drive that far due to the distance so wanted to know the process and movers you might have used?