28-08-2013
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2014 ; reissued 21-05-2014
LANDED..........
planning for 11-06-2014!!!
Hi all! Landing next week :D
I'm trying to figure out importing the car and insurance. Since I cannot get Canadian insurance until I switch my license to Ontario, and then I can't drive the car under my US insurance under the Ontario license... Can I import the car using my US insurance (which covers canada) and then switch my license over, insure it and register it once imported? I called around to Canadian insurance companies and haven't been able to even get quoted bc I don't have an Ontario license. But I know driving the car in the US under a Canadian license and US insurance and plates would be a total no no.

So basically, can I import the car under my US license, insurance and registration??

katester

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottowa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2013
Doc's Request.
March 4 & April 9, 2014
File Transfer...
September 12, 2013
Med's Done....
June 4, 2013 extended until May1, 2015!!!
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
June 6,2014!!
LANDED..........
April 2,2015
I have been wondering this myself. We have a car loan that won't be paid off for at least a year. It is legally under my Mom's name. I read you can not import a car while it has a lien on it. So we can't import it until it is paid off, correct? Can I still list of on my 'goods to follow' list and import it once it is paid off? Can anyone explain how this will work?

If I get COPR and land say August and the car is under my Mom's name and insurance until it is paid off next August, what happens? When I become PR I need to get a new licsense for Ontario right? How soon do I have to switch? And does anyone have experience with Canada ID and US car/ insurance? Once I can import it how so after do you need Canadian Insurance?

kateee

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2013
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
& SA: 10-10-2013
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
katester said:
I have been wondering this myself. We have a car loan that won't be paid off for at least a year. It is legally under my Mom's name. I read you can not import a car while it has a lien on it. So we can't import it until it is paid off, correct? Can I still list of on my 'goods to follow' list and import it once it is paid off? Can anyone explain how this will work?

If I get COPR and land say August and the car is under my Mom's name and insurance until it is paid off next August, what happens? When I become PR I need to get a new licsense for Ontario right? How soon do I have to switch? And does anyone have experience with Canada ID and US car/ insurance? Once I can import it how so after do you need Canadian Insurance?
From what I understand you have 60 days to switch to an Ontario license after arriving in Ontario. You need the Canadian insurance ASAP after importing... I called RIV and they seem to think that as long as your US insurance covers you in Canada you can drive from the border using your US license and insurance. You have 30 days to register the car in Ontario after import and in order to register you must have Canadian insurance and in order to get Canadian insurance you must have a Canadian (Ontario) license.

I would think that you could list the car as goods to follow then import once it's paid off but I don't think you can legally drive it in Canada as a PR if it is licensed and insured in the states.

aminata2010

Star Member
Jun 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-25-2014
AOR Received.
05/02/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
01/31/2014
Good post...I have heard and known a few americans in canada..who still have american license plates and insurance...i am sure its not legal to do so though..

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
kateee said:
Hi all! Landing next week :D
I'm trying to figure out importing the car and insurance. Since I cannot get Canadian insurance until I switch my license to Ontario, and then I can't drive the car under my US insurance under the Ontario license... Can I import the car using my US insurance (which covers canada) and then switch my license over, insure it and register it once imported? I called around to Canadian insurance companies and haven't been able to even get quoted bc I don't have an Ontario license. But I know driving the car in the US under a Canadian license and US insurance and plates would be a total no no.

So basically, can I import the car under my US license, insurance and registration??
Yes, Kateee. You can import your car to Canada using your US license and insurance. Once you have imported the car you know the drill with RIV and such, we've been over that part already ;) Get your license exchanged first, remember to bring your driving record from your home state to help facilitate a straight exchange with no restrictions. Get a letter from your insurance company which will help your insurance rates on this side of the border. Once you have your Canadian license, you can then follow through with getting your car registered.

Oh, get the RIV inspection done BEFORE you change your license! ;) That way you are still 'legal' with your insurance company in case anything happens. Once that first RIV inspection is done and such, you can park the car for the duration of the process if necessary because it doesn't have to go with you for the rest of it! :D

Katester,

You can not import your car until either A:) The lien has been fully paid, or B:) The company that holds the lien signs paperwork stating that it is ok for you to remove the car from the US. It is rare that they will do this as they have no recourse to repossess it if that becomes necessary, but it might be an option given that it is almost paid off, you would need to check.

Your car must be registered to YOU before you can export it. If your mothers name also appears on the title she would need to give you permission to remove the car as well because she is a co-owner. Your best bet would be as soon as the car is paid off and the lien holder releases it by either sending you the physical title or a letter that releases the title take it immediately to your local DMV, along with your mother and have the car put into your name only. This will take a few weeks to get the new title in the mail, however it will greatly ease your export/import process.

You aren't supposed to bring the car/drive the car in Canada after becoming a PR as they CAN give you a very difficult time because you are effectively a resident in another county and must get a new license. Once you have changed your license over, your insurance effectively no longer covers you as a driver or the car. You might consider trying to get that car paid over before landing as a PR if at all possible either via a personal loan or extra money if you have it.

kateee

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2013
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Alurra71 said:
Yes, Kateee. You can import your car to Canada using your US license and insurance. Once you have imported the car you know the drill with RIV and such, we've been over that part already ;) Get your license exchanged first, remember to bring your driving record from your home state to help facilitate a straight exchange with no restrictions. Get a letter from your insurance company which will help your insurance rates on this side of the border. Once you have your Canadian license, you can then follow through with getting your car registered.

Oh, get the RIV inspection done BEFORE you change your license! ;) That way you are still 'legal' with your insurance company in case anything happens. Once that first RIV inspection is done and such, you can park the car for the duration of the process if necessary because it doesn't have to go with you for the rest of it! :D
You've been my lifesaver!!! Seriously! Thanks so much ;D ;D

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
aminata2010 said:
Good post...I have heard and known a few americans in canada..who still have american license plates and insurance...i am sure its not legal to do so though..
Not really legal after 60 days if you have permanent residency in Canada. There is a some grey area regarding if you on a temporary visa but I think even for those people it is not allowed (after 60 days).

kateee

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2013
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Once I import the car and change everything over to Ontario I won't have a problem driving it in the US when I visit will I? Since I am a US citizen with canadian PR living in Canada, I feel like that should allow me to drive a Canadian plated car... True?

I'm going to send my info to the US border today then drive the car to the states tomorrow, stay for a few days and land/import Wednesday! Sound good? The car doesn't have to be in the US when I send the info does it?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
kateee said:
Once I import the car and change everything over to Ontario I won't have a problem driving it in the US when I visit will I? Since I am a US citizen with canadian PR living in Canada, I feel like that should allow me to drive a Canadian plated car... True?

I'm going to send my info to the US border today then drive the car to the states tomorrow, stay for a few days and land/import Wednesday! Sound good? The car doesn't have to be in the US when I send the info does it?
No, there will be no issues with you driving your car in the States after it's been exported and plated in the US. No, it does not need to be in the States when you email them the info. Just make sure you wait at least a minimum of 72 hours BEFORE showing up to have them export it LOL They can be kinda funny. They gave me a semi hard time because I showed up at like 70 and 3/4 hours LOL

kateee

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2013
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Alurra71 said:
No, there will be no issues with you driving your car in the States after it's been exported and plated in the US. No, it does not need to be in the States when you email them the info. Just make sure you wait at least a minimum of 72 hours BEFORE showing up to have them export it LOL They can be kinda funny. They gave me a semi hard time because I showed up at like 70 and 3/4 hours LOL
Thanks again. I did get in touch with the Lewiston border office and they said that the car has to be in the US before I send them the info. I'm not sure they totally understood my question but the email I got back was "NO it must be in the US"... I think we are going to adjust our timeline just to be safe. You waited 72 hours from the time you emailed them or from the time they responded? I hope it's just from your email time...

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
kateee said:
Thanks again. I did get in touch with the Lewiston border office and they said that the car has to be in the US before I send them the info. I'm not sure they totally understood my question but the email I got back was "NO it must be in the US"... I think we are going to adjust our timeline just to be safe. You waited 72 hours from the time you emailed them or from the time they responded? I hope it's just from your email time...
I know they say that, but they have no idea in all honesty lol I drove mine over the border back into the US the same day I imported it. But you should do what makes you feel comfortable :D They don't respond to the email from the border I used. You only put your VIN# in the subject line and that was all it needed, at least at my border. Then you get a auto response which you should print because it has the time stamp on it.