+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAR IMPORT FROM USA TO CANADA

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
hi

I am moving in July 2018 from USA to Canada and plan to import my Toyota Camry (2013) with me.
I notice the RIV website has instructions on some modifications -
Typical Vehicle Modifications -
Will my Toyota Camry be able to be modified as per above, I notice that some members had a difficult time trying to get the modifications done..

Please help with suggestions.

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
hi

I am moving in July 2018 from USA to Canada and plan to import my Toyota Camry (2013) with me.
I notice the RIV website has instructions on some modifications -
Typical Vehicle Modifications -
Will my Toyota Camry be able to be modified as per above, I notice that some members had a difficult time trying to get the modifications done..

Please help with suggestions.
Any member with suggestions?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Your car probably already has a metric speedometer and odometer does it not? Daytime running lights is a simple modification done at Canadian Tire for maybe $200 if you don't have those already.

Reactions: seamarine

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Your car probably already has a metric speedometer and odometer does it not? Daytime running lights is a simple modification done at Canadian Tire for maybe $200 if you don't have those already.
Not so simple. In my case Canadian Tire told me there is nothing they can do and forwarded me to mercedes dealership. The vehicle is second day there, software update does not work ( produces an error) and they requested direct help from Germany. Let see what happens.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Not so simple. In my case Canadian Tire told me there is nothing they can do and forwarded me to mercedes dealership. The vehicle is second day there, software update does not work ( produces an error) and they requested direct help from Germany. Let see what happens.
Well, nothing is simple on a Mercedes.

Reactions: YVR123

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Yea, that s true.. day time running light fix was a 60$ job in brampton (for a normal SUV) :)
Well, all is done with my spouse's 2014 GLK 250.

Mercedes dealership finished DLR this morning ($250CAD + tax), RIV inspection done at Canadian Tire (15min), could not find independent shop to do Safety Inspection (busy, next week, no equipment for Mercedes, etc.), so went back to dealership - 1 hour ($160CAD+tax). After that went to ServiceCanada with all paperwork, surrended US Title and got car Canadian registered/plated ($120CAN+$59CAD).

One side effect of DLR reprogramming is that now our US car shows temperature in Celsius.

I would like to add a few details. All this export/import was done by me for my spouse vehicle (she already landed and is not able to enter USA). No questions asked about ownership. During export - the vehicle Title (with her name) and my passport, during import - vehicle Title and stamped List of Goods to Follow (her List of goods to Follow). In Canada vehicle modifications, RIV inspection, Safety Inspection done by me, nobody asked prove of ownership. Canadian Insurance was done by phone/email. Just in Service Canada they wanted to see the owner (my spouse) and her Ontario DL.

Last edited:

pds4409

Oct 26, 2018
Well, all is done with my spouse's 2014 GLK 250.

Mercedes dealership finished DLR this morning ($250CAD + tax), RIV inspection done at Canadian Tire (15min), could not find independent shop to do Safety Inspection (busy, next week, no equipment for Mercedes, etc.), so went back to dealership - 1 hour ($160CAD+tax). After that went to ServiceCanada with all paperwork, surrended US Title and got car Canadian registered/plated ($120CAN+$59CAD).

One side effect of DLR reprogramming is that now our US car shows temperature in Celsius.

I would like to add a few details. All this export/import was done by me for my spouse vehicle (she already landed and is not able to enter USA). No questions asked about ownership. During export - the vehicle Title (with her name) and my passport, during import - vehicle Title and stamped List of Goods to Follow (her List of goods to Follow). In Canada vehicle modifications, RIV inspection, Safety Inspection done by me, nobody asked prove of ownership. Canadian Insurance was done by phone/email. Just in Service Canada they wanted to see the owner (my spouse) and her Ontario DL.

I am having the same issue. My car is from the US and also a Mercedes Benz C300 2015. What Mercedes dealership did you go to? They were unable to program my DRL also and saying that the German Team could not do anything about it. Hoping to hear back from you as this is a frustrating situation that I am going through that you went through.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Could you please share where did you get the modifications done in Brampton?

Thanks!![/QUOT
Since this is old tread I am not sure that Brampton person reads this. I myself just saw the question to me from Oct 2018.
My Mercedes dealership was in Windsor, ON

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Did you have to go to Canadian tire again after Mercedes fixed DRL?
If yes, then did Canadian Tire charge you again for re-inspection?
Thanks.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Of course I did come back to them - the Canadian Tire is the authorized RIV inspection agent. I came back from the dealership to Canadian Tire with invoice of what they did and their inspector cleared inspection in 15 minutes. They got my Form stamped.

As far as charge - I paid nothing directly to Canadian Tire (first time and second time). I paid my RIV fee to RIV online. That's all. Again - the Canadian Tire is the authorized RIV inspection agent and all thier work was prepaid online ( riv.ca).

Another thing is Safety Inspection, but this has nothing to do with vehicle import. That was part of the next step - registration vehicle in province and I paid for Safety Inspection and did it in different place ( in my case with Meb dealer as well).

Last edited:

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Of course I did come back to them - the Canadian Tire is the autorized RIV inspection agent. I came back from the dealership to Canadian Tire with invoice of what they did and their inspector cleared inspection in 15 minutes. They got my Form stamped.

As far as charge - I paid nothing directly to Canadian Tire (first time and second time). I paid my RIV fee to RIV online. That's all. Againn - the Canadian Tire is the autorized RIV inspection agent and all thier work was prepaid online ( riv.ca).

Another thing is Safety Inspection, but this has nothing to do with vehicle import. That was part of the next step - registration vehicle in province and I paid for Safety Inspection and did it in different place ( in my case with Meb dealer as well).
Thanks for reply..
The reason i asked that because riv website says re-inspection fees is $56.xx