+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car Import from USA to Canada - Goods to Follow

pavan23

Nov 18, 2014
Hello Guys,

I would like to import a Toyota Corolla after 6 months from landing and would like to add the same in the Goods to Follow list.
I woud like to know how can i evaluate the car ? What is the amount that we have to put in the goods to follow list .
Is it the initial cost of the car ? or the current valuation ?

Thanks
Pavan

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
Current value - You can put an approximate number. Remember if the value is more than $10K, you'll have to pay GST at the border.

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
How much will the GST be if the car is around 14000$
GST

The Goods and Services Tax (GST) is collected on all imported vehicles by the CBSA and is based on:
  • the current GST rate (5%), and
  • the U.S. sale price of the vehicle before any trade-ins (converted to CDN$)
    plus
  • any state or local sales tax paid (converted to CDN$)
    plus
  • any excise taxes or duties assessed by CBSA at the border.
For more details, see here: https://www.riv.ca/CostConsiderations.aspx

rj16

Star Member
May 19, 2015
New Jersey, USA
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
Current value - You can put an approximate number. Remember if the value is more than $10K, you'll have to pay GST at the border.
That's not true. As a new immigrant (Settler in CBSA terms), you're allowed to take your personal vehicles without paying any taxes. I believe you have to own and use the vehicle for 12 months prior to importing.

pavan23

Nov 18, 2014
That's not true. As a new immigrant (Settler in CBSA terms), you're allowed to take your personal vehicles without paying any taxes. I believe you have to own and use the vehicle for 12 months prior to importing.
I hope to clarify this with the CBSA when we do our landing next week...

Yes my vehicle is with me for over 2 years now.

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
CBSA has asked me to pay GST on the vehicle since it's value is more than 10K CAD. So, do you think I should claim it?

rj16

Star Member
May 19, 2015
New Jersey, USA
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
Are you moving into Canada from another country, permanently? Look at the guideline posted below. The $10000 limit only applies if you were a former resident and are moving back to Canada.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/mrc-drc-eng.html
Well, isn't that the intent of PR - to move permanently?

I did reach out to CBSA to confirm what I mentioned in my earlier post. There wouldn't be duty on vehicles manufactured in North America but excise tax and GST should be still paid. Please see below:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-12-1-eng.html

Customs Tariff, Taxes and Duties
124. Vehicles eligible for importation into Canada will be assessed for duty, excise tax and the goods and services tax (GST). The CBSA will assess duty on a vehicle manufactured in a country other than the US and Mexico.

125. If a vehicle is imported into Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Ontario or British Columbia the importer must pay the GST, as well as the provincial part of the harmonized sales tax when they license their vehicle. For other provinces, sales tax may be applied when they license their vehicle.

RaghuR

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
Please see my post and a supporting link above. Based on that, you can evaluate.
Hi, My question was specific to GST and You know there are different accounts from different links so I just wanted to know from somebody who has actually done it of late.
with that said, a simply Yes or No to my earlier question would be helpful. Thanks

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
Hi, My question was specific to GST and You know there are different accounts from different links so I just wanted to know from somebody who has actually done it of late.
with that said, a simply Yes or No to my earlier question would be helpful. Thanks
Yes, you have to pay GST at the border if you are importing your car from US to Canada if it is bought after 2001 based on its value.

MediaMaverick

Sep 6, 2019
I imported my Subaru (worth 20k) in September when I moved to Canada. It was listed on my initial goods to follow list when I landed in late October 2019. I did not need to pay any GST taxes on the car only a $195 registrar fee.

alainesoliveira

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
I imported my Subaru (worth 20k) in September when I moved to Canada. It was listed on my initial goods to follow list when I landed in late October 2019. I did not need to pay any GST taxes on the car only a $195 registrar fee.
Did you have to submitt any paperwork on the car before your landing?