+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAR at Customs: List of Docs Needed?

piscean5

Star Member
Nov 11, 2009
Hi All
I am driving my Car from US to Canada (Calgary) and will pass through Saskatchewan or Montana border.
I did my short landing a year ago and gave my car VIN number at that time under goods to follow list.

I now need to know what other documents I need to show at border. Car is under my name and title is free.

Thanks in advance
Sidhu

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
Are you importing the car during this trip? If so, the RIV site (google it), will answer your question. One thing to note is they need the info three days before you cross the border to import. It gives them time do do a title search on the car. They need to know it's not stolen.
Hope this helps.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
and if you're not importing your car during this entry, there is nothing you need to cross the border with the car, except the obvious proof of registration and insurance so you can legally drive it on the road. there is nothing wrong with driving a us plated car across the canadian border, even as a PR or citizen. it's highly likely they won't even ask you about it. the issue is that us insurances will drop you if they find out the car is in canada long term.

piscean5

Star Member
Nov 11, 2009
Hi
I am planning to import the car. I have an ACURA MDX and I dont see an option to select that.
The issue I am facing is if I go to following link- I select
https://www.riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx

1. MPV (Multipurpose passenger Vehicles) under Vehicle Type
2. Under Manufacturer, I see 'Acura Canada' but not Acura US or Just Acura.

What to select here?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
what happens if you choose Acura Canada? i don't think it's an issue.

if you're still having problems, call RIV directly. they are quite helpful.

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
Hi
I am planning to import the car. I have an ACURA MDX and I dont see an option to select that.
The issue I am facing is if I go to following link- I select
https://www.riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx

1. MPV (Multipurpose passenger Vehicles) under Vehicle Type
2. Under Manufacturer, I see 'Acura Canada' but not Acura US or Just Acura.

What to select here?
Hi Sidhu,

Were you ever able to figure out this. I have exactly the same questions and I am planning to move to Canada by end of this year.