+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can't stay for 730 days to renew my PR because of university and training. tips?

seenwolf

Sep 24, 2010
Hi guys... I entered Canada as a landed immigrant two years ago, then I had to go back home in order to finish my university there (2 years), and now I am in Canada again. I've got into a medical residency program (for Doctors) which would take a minimum of 3 years, therefore I'd not be able to stay for 730 days in Canada in order for my PR cards to be renewed.. Is there a way where I can convince the immigration center not to cancel my PR card as I have a good reason to stay outside canada (studying for university, then doing my postgraduate education)

if possible please give me tips
thank you so much
Ahmed

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Studying in another country is generally not considered a good reason to not meet your residency requirements because you could have studied in Canada.

Once you are ready to return, if your PR card it still valid, you just return and deal with the immigration officers on entry. They might let you in, they might tell you off and let you in or worst case they could report you for not meeting the requirements and give you instructions to appeal for your PR. If your PR card is expired, you apply for a PR travel document at the embassy and you can then list your reasons why you could not meet the residency requirements and they decide if they allow you to return or not.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
seenwolf said:
Hi guys... I entered Canada as a landed immigrant two years ago, then I had to go back home in order to finish my university there (2 years), and now I am in Canada again. I've got into a medical residency program (for Doctors) which would take a minimum of 3 years, therefore I'd not be able to stay for 730 days in Canada in order for my PR cards to be renewed.. Is there a way where I can convince the immigration center not to cancel my PR card as I have a good reason to stay outside canada (studying for university, then doing my postgraduate education)

if possible please give me tips
thank you so much
Ahmed
If you are doing medical why not do it from Canada this way you can also do your residency. If you get your medical degree from outside Canada at some point you have to come to Canada then you'll have to start from scratch with re certification and working at mcdonalds to make ends meet

katie46

Sep 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Aug-2010
Doc's Request.
7-Oct-2011
Med's Request
25-Mar-2011
Med's Done....
5-April-2011
Hi,
About this topic,I have 2 questions?
- working in us with H1B visa can be counted for residency or citizenship?
- I was in canada before residency almost 8 years with work permit. for citizenship, how they counting this 8 years?

thank you everybody,
Katie

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
katie46 said:
Hi,
About this topic,I have 2 questions?
- working in us with H1B visa can be counted for residency or citizenship?
- I was in canada before residency almost 8 years with work permit. for citizenship, how they counting this 8 years?

thank you everybody,
Katie
1) Working in the US will only be counted for residency if you are accompanying your spouse AND your spouse is a Canadian citizen. Working in the US will not count for citizenship.
2) To calculate your citizenship days, it's best to use the citizenship calculator:

https://eservicesak.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do?&lang=en

7 of the 8 years you worked in Canada on a work permit will definitely not count towards citizenship. 1 year out of the 8 might be counted towards citizenship (depending on how long ago that 1 year happened). If it is counted, each day spent in Canada will only count as 1/2 day towards residency. So the most you could get out of those 8 years is six months credit towards citizenship. Again, best to use the residency calculator.