+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAN'T FIND WORK

adipdaniel

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
I think having education in Canada will definitely be a plus for a long tern perspective. However, I cannot say if it will be a significant factor that will differentiate you from other applicants. Just to give you an idea, a person with Canadian CPA license and masters degree cannot even secure a job these days. That being said, I think fulfilling the gap in your resume with the education is a great idea while awaiting your PR approval.
Let's hope that the job market will be a bit better by the time you can come to Canada. Right now its real tough.
Oh my! I thought a Canadian CPA was sufficient to land atleast an entry level accounting/finance job. I have done my masters and US CMA, and was thinking of pursuing US CPA also in my gap so that I can benefit from the reciprocal agreement and end up with a Canadian CPA. But this is an eyeopener! I was under the assumption that accounting and finance, after IT, was perhaps the biggest source of employment in Canada. How do you get a job in Finance and Accounting domain in Canada?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Oh my! I thought a Canadian CPA was sufficient to land atleast an entry level accounting/finance job. I have done my masters and US CMA, and was thinking of pursuing US CPA also in my gap so that I can benefit from the reciprocal agreement and end up with a Canadian CPA. But this is an eyeopener! I was under the assumption that accounting and finance, after IT, was perhaps the biggest source of employment in Canada. How do you get a job in Finance and Accounting domain in Canada?
Biggest source and in demand sector is General Labor, then customer service and perhaps tech after that.

Reactions: Svet81

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
with a canadian CPA designation, you probably will be able to land an entry level accounting job. Finance, probably not

808to604

Sep 14, 2020
I agree that Accounting/Finance is one of the industries that are in demand. But there's also a great number of qualified applicant who's gotten 10+ year of experience. Perhaps, you meet most of the qualification, if not all or overqualified. Now, you are racing with those who has similar qualification AND the experience.
I'm still trying to figure out how to get a job as a young professional; Without a job cannot gain experience, without the experience cannot get a job..
For now, I keep applying and hoping for the best luck..

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree that Accounting/Finance is one of the industries that are in demand. But there's also a great number of qualified applicant who's gotten 10+ year of experience. Perhaps, you meet most of the qualification, if not all or overqualified. Now, you are racing with those who has similar qualification AND the experience.
I'm still trying to figure out how to get a job as a young professional; Without a job cannot gain experience, without the experience cannot get a job..
I heard volunteer experence count as work experience. In the next tax season, you can volunteer yourself in the tax preparation clinics in the non profit organisation in your city.

adipdaniel

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
with a canadian CPA designation, you probably will be able to land an entry level accounting job. Finance, probably not
Thanks for the info. Yeah the goal is to get a job to begin with, though a good job would be a welcome bonus. I have a masters degree in Finance, have done the US CMA certification and have around 5 years of of finance/accounting experience with a bank and IT MNC outside of Canada. Have similar profiles of education and work experience been able to bag an entry level job in Canada, without going for a Canadian CPA? Though I have probably a year's time to do the US CPA and then the Canadian CPA, I wanted to get a view if will really pay off given the time and investment required.

adipdaniel

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
Also you mentioned that the Canadian CPA would help to get accounting related jobs. What are the good or relevant certifications one must do to get a Finance job in Canada, given I have around 5 years of work ex outside Canada.

adipdaniel

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
Thanks. Its heartening to hear that Accounting/Finance jobs are in demand( maybe not as much as General Labour, customer service or IT). Yes I have around 5 years of work experience. Is your profile similar to mine, in terms of work ex? Yes competing with ppl having 10+ years of work experience is really challenging. Completely feel you, but rest assured, something bright is coming your way. I get job notification alerts from a site called ZipRecruiter where I see a lot of finance/accounting related openings coming up. You can maybe try applying there.
Hard work, perseverance with blessings of the Almighty always pay off. As you had mentioned in your earlier post, as you continue to network, a good job opportunity is bound to come up. I'm sure that a few months down the line when its time for me to come to Canada, I can hear your success story and feel motivated :)

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Also you mentioned that the Canadian CPA would help to get accounting related jobs. What are the good or relevant certifications one must do to get a Finance job in Canada, given I have around 5 years of work ex outside Canada.
Get into a top 3 MBA program: Rotman, Ivey or Smith. Unlike tech where foreign demand is required, finance is a field Canadian graduates all want to do and even among Canadian graduates it is competitive. They hire straight out of undergrad, that's their pipeline. Even MBAs struggle to switch into finance unless you graduate from one of the top business schools. CFA I or II doesn't help that much

808to604

Sep 14, 2020
Thanks. Its heartening to hear that Accounting/Finance jobs are in demand( maybe not as much as General Labour, customer service or IT). Yes I have around 5 years of work experience. Is your profile similar to mine, in terms of work ex? Yes competing with ppl having 10+ years of work experience is really challenging. Completely feel you, but rest assured, something bright is coming your way. I get job notification alerts from a site called ZipRecruiter where I see a lot of finance/accounting related openings coming up. You can maybe try applying there.
Hard work, perseverance with blessings of the Almighty always pay off. As you had mentioned in your earlier post, as you continue to network, a good job opportunity is bound to come up. I'm sure that a few months down the line when its time for me to come to Canada, I can hear your success story and feel motivated :)
Thank you adipdaniel, it's very kind of you to say that and I will check out the site.
Regarding the work experience, yes we have similar experience, although yours superior than mine as I haven't completed any accounting licenses; I completed MBA with finance focus in the US, 3 years in accounting, 2 years in finance (Creditor side).
Thank you again for your kind words and I hope your application goes smooth as well!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wouldn’t necessarily say that finance and accounting jobs are in high demand. Some form of accounting is usually needed for a small business so there are quite a few self employed accountants. You may be imagining that there is big demand from employers like banks which isn’t the case. CFA is something that will benefit you if you want to work in finance.

Reactions: Svet81

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
What is your source for this answer? There are a lot of job postings but there is a substantially greater supply of candidates for finance jobs. I would not say that is 'in demand'.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Get into a top 3 MBA program: Rotman, Ivey or Smith. Unlike tech where foreign demand is required, finance is a field Canadian graduates all want to do and even among Canadian graduates it is competitive. They hire straight out of undergrad, that's their pipeline. Even MBAs struggle to switch into finance unless you graduate from one of the top business schools. CFA I or II doesn't help that much
Would disagree that CFA doesn‘t help you much. It is just expected by many. Agree that the easiest way to get into finance in Canada is to have connections to get an interview and to attend and do well in one of the top 3-5 business schools in Canada.