+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAN'T FIND WORK

808to604

Sep 14, 2020
What is your source for this answer? There are a lot of job postings but there is a substantially greater supply of candidates for finance jobs. I would not say that is 'in demand'.
Thanks for your insight. According to the LMI, the expected number of opening position (demand) is larger than new job seekers (supply) for next 10 years, 22,300 and 21,700 respectively as of August 2020's forecast report. Although, I agree and mentioned earlier that there are a great number of qualified candidate who are seeking a job in the same field, I'm not saying that you can find a accounting/finance job right out of the box by any mean. Rather, there are definitely "opening positions" in accounting/finance industry, if you wanna be crystal clear for that.
You can find the LMI date in the link below.
https://clmi-explore-icmt.ca/viz?page=home&lang=en

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Thanks for your insight. According to the LMI, the expected number of opening position (demand) is larger than new job seekers (supply) for next 10 years, 22,300 and 21,700 respectively as of August 2020's forecast report. Although, I agree and mentioned earlier that there are a great number of qualified candidate who are seeking a job in the same field, I'm not saying that you can find a accounting/finance job right out of the box by any mean. Rather, there are definitely "opening positions" in accounting/finance industry, if you wanna be crystal clear for that.
Not sure what job title you used for your results but I'm not going to argue over the state on the entire industry as many factors goes into deeming what is in demand and what is not. My assessment is for 'High Finance' NOT Retail Banking/Bookkeeping/Insurance or other low level finance. For these positions, you need CFA and if you didn't go to a Canadian Undergrad for uni then a top MBA.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Unfortunately the jobs data tends to be incorrect or 5-10 years late. For example I just looked at the forecast for pharmacists and dentist and the outlook is prettt good although there is a huge surplus of workers and salaries are decreasing.

Reactions: Svet81

808to604

Sep 14, 2020
Not sure what job title you used for your results but I'm not going to argue over the state on the entire industry as many factors goes into deeming what is in demand and what is not. My assessment is for 'High Finance' NOT Retail Banking/Bookkeeping/Insurance or other low level finance. For these positions, you need CFA and if you didn't go to a Canadian Undergrad for uni then a top MBA.
Unfortunately the jobs data tends to be incorrect or 5-10 years late. For example I just looked at the forecast for pharmacists and dentist and the outlook is prettt good although there is a huge surplus of workers and salaries are decreasing.
Oops, my bad, the job title is Financial/Investment Analyst. Anyways, my bottom line is that I see there's opening positions, but just difficult to nail one.
Oh no, I didn't intend to rise an argument, like I said, thanks for your insight, and I do appreciate to have other people's opinion.
And thank you to canuck78 too, I did not know about the discrepancies in the data.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oops, my bad, the job title is Financial/Investment Analyst. Anyways, my bottom line is that I see there's opening positions, but just difficult to nail one.
Oh no, I didn't intend to rise an argument, like I said, thanks for your insight, and I do appreciate to have other people's opinion.
And thank you to canuck78 too, I did not know about the discrepancies in the data.
Wouldn’t listen to most job forecasting data from the government. It takes so long to publish them they are out of date. Unfortunately one of the reasons students aren’t encouraged to take the skills that are needed. Have seen other staffing companies or websites publishing lists of skills in demand that don’t represent what is actually happening in Canada. Banks in general are trying to become leaner and finntech is also influencing the industry. The major issue is the instability because of Brexit, in HK and issues with moving to the US is pushing more people with international finance experience to Canada and Canada is a small market. People with well paying jobs and a good lifestyle need to really examine why they are moving to Canada and what they expect when they move to Canada.

adipdaniel

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
Very informative answers. @canuck78 , @tapperb @808to604
I have a US CMA and planning for a US CPA, after which I can look to take the Canadian CPA route through the reciprocal agreement. How much will a US CMA certification help in getting an entry level accounting job in Canada? I have around 5 years work ex in financial planning and accounting.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Accounting jobs may be in demand but there are just too many applicants at least here in Ontario. Not only there are many new immigrants in the accounting field, but local colleges and universities are pumping accounting graduates by the tens of thousands every year, including both international students or local Canadians. It is not surprising to see an entry level AR job in Toronto attracting 300 applicants on LinkedIN with a 40% having MBAs, Masters Degrees etc. You also see some CPAs taking some 40K or 50K jobs because there is just not enough openings in mid-management or above.

Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Accounting jobs may be in demand but there are just too many applicants at least here in Ontario. Not only there are many new immigrants in the accounting field, but local colleges and universities are pumping accounting graduates by the tens of thousands every year, including both international students or local Canadians. It is not surprising to see an entry level AR job in Toronto attracting 300 applicants on LinkedIN with a 40% having MBAs, Masters Degrees etc. You also see some CPAs taking some 40K or 50K jobs because there is just not enough openings in mid-management or above.
Exactly. Accounting is competitive, finance is close to impossible for a non-Canadian grad.

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
I shifted to Canada in December 2019. And since then I have applied to more than 500+ jobs, but couldn't find any job.
Does Government of Canada have any assistance available for those people???
So what happened? Did you finally get a job?

govindkori

Feb 22, 2020
Welfare is not a lot of money so getting a job even with Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin minimum wage is better. Unfortunately there is a shutdown in hiring in December to the beginning of January so December wasn’t a great time for newcomers to arrive.

Last edited: