+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can't attend Citizenship Test - live overseas

debbiewy

Nov 21, 2013
Hi,
I just received notice to take my citizenship test in Ottawa next week, but now I'm working/living in Australia and can't attend.
My Canadian immigration lawyer says he can request to reschedule the test, but I can't choose the date or change the place that suits me. And even tho I'm overseas, CIC is not obliged to reschedule. Also a second trip back is needed to take the oath.

Questions:
What happens if I don't attend the test at all? e.g. is my application refused/cancelled?
Can I put my application "on hold" and take the test etc when I move back to Canada in a few years?
Can I take the test & oath at an embassy office in Australia?
Isn't living overseas a valid reason for CIC to reschedule the test & oath to when its suitable? (I'll be in Canada in Aug 2014)
Can't the test & oath be scheduled within a week of each other and save me a trip?

Really appreciate if you have a solution for me or if you've experienced this.
Thanks, Debbie

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Go to the main forum page and do a search for reschedule test or things like that. Be very sure you are making a decision you are happy with at this important time of your life. I found one thread of interest. There are lots. Good luck. http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t161125.0.html;msg2494239#msg2494239
edmonton2011
Star Member

Ratings: +2
[Good] [Poor]

Re: My first schedule was on 7/2/2013, but i missed as i didnt rcvd the letter.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 12:52:42 pm »
It can take several months or even more than a year for CIC to reschedule the test. Consider yourself lucky if you do not get an RQ that would lengthen the process a lot.
CIC has been very sensitive about people missing the test or oath dates lately. Someone from my local office missed the test for the same reason (did not receive the letter on time) and had to wait over a year for the next appointment.

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
debbiewy said:
Hi,
I just received notice to take my citizenship test in Ottawa next week, but now I'm working/living in Australia and can't attend.
My Canadian immigration lawyer says he can request to reschedule the test, but I can't choose the date or change the place that suits me. And even tho I'm overseas, CIC is not obliged to reschedule. Also a second trip back is needed to take the oath.

Questions:
What happens if I don't attend the test at all? e.g. is my application refused/cancelled?
Can I put my application "on hold" and take the test etc when I move back to Canada in a few years?
Can I take the test & oath at an embassy office in Australia?
Isn't living overseas a valid reason for CIC to reschedule the test & oath to when its suitable? (I'll be in Canada in Aug 2014)
Can't the test & oath be scheduled within a week of each other and save me a trip?

Really appreciate if you have a solution for me or if you've experienced this.
Thanks, Debbie
Hi debbiewy check this out: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2013-09-05.asp

Hope the above link explains it all!

Answers:
1. Yes, you application will be closed, check the site I provided.
2. You should talk to CIC about putting your application on hold but bare in mind it will be a very long process plus possible RQ.
3. You can not take test or oath anywhere else but in Canada.
4. Living overseas is not a valid reason at ALL! unless you have something else, again check the website, it explains the reasonable cause for postponing.
5. No, you can not schedule test and oath within a week of each other to suit your need, the same for applicants living in Canada (unless you have a valid cause). But you can ask to reschedule your test but do not expect it very soon and also it might cause you receiving RQ (35 months to process).

Look, I live overseas too and know what you are going through. I am moving back soon too but when I get invited to the test or oath I would not think twice, I would leave immediately! It does not worth to postpone anything, at least for me.

Good luck!

Reactions: figsalad

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2013-09-05.asp

UPS..here re-posting the link for you.