+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cannot provide employment reference letter for study permit

SiRo

May 7, 2021
Category........
STUDY
Hey everyone,

I got an admission for a Master's degree to a well-known university in Canada, and I'm in the process of applying for my study permit. Problem is, I just joined a new company last month (in April) and I'm still on my probation period, which means they can fire me without notice any time, for any reason. I'm worried that if I tell them I am leaving so soon after joining, they'll just fire me on the spot, and then I'll be unemployed, which reduces chances of getting the visa approval. So my question is, can I give this explanation and provide suitable documents (eg offer letter from company, payslip for April, printouts of emails welcoming me to the company) in place of the employment reference letter? Or will they just reject me on the stop for unsuitable documentation? Can I provide an employment reference letter from my previous organization (where I had been working till March)? The rest of my application is strong (high TOEFL score, sufficient funds, no relatives in Canada, etc).

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Employment Reference letter is not a mandatory requirement for SP. You can include your offer letter and payslips to show you currently have a job and that you have job prospects in your country on completion of your degree.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hey everyone,

I got an admission for a Master's degree to a well-known university in Canada, and I'm in the process of applying for my study permit. Problem is, I just joined a new company last month (in April) and I'm still on my probation period, which means they can fire me without notice any time, for any reason. I'm worried that if I tell them I am leaving so soon after joining, they'll just fire me on the spot, and then I'll be unemployed, which reduces chances of getting the visa approval. So my question is, can I give this explanation and provide suitable documents (eg offer letter from company, payslip for April, printouts of emails welcoming me to the company) in place of the employment reference letter? Or will they just reject me on the stop for unsuitable documentation? Can I provide an employment reference letter from my previous organization (where I had been working till March)? The rest of my application is strong (high TOEFL score, sufficient funds, no relatives in Canada, etc).
Include your paystub and offer letter to show proof of employment. You need that to show your economic status. VO use “employment status” as reasons to reject SP application from many applicant, same as the chance of getting visa if you are unemployment

SiRo

May 7, 2021
Category........
STUDY
Thank you for your responses! That's reassuring. I'll definitely include my payslips and offer letter as proof of employment, both from my current and previous company.