+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cannot meet the 2 year residency obligations

chun0431

May 28, 2018
Hi everyone

I have a question about my situation.

I live in Australia but wanted to move to Canada since a while ago. I applied the PR card and received it on 8 Jan 2020. I stayed in Canada for one month after receiving the PR card and then returned to Australia to plan my move.

However Covid hit the world and Australia had travel bands for a couple of years. During this time I met my ex, got married, separated and now am going through a divorce. I still want to move to Canada but I cannot move immediately as I still need to be here sorting out the divorce and assets etc. My PR card expires on 8 Jan 2025 and I already don't meet the RO.

My question is what do I do now? Should I move to Canada later this year/early next year under the PR card and apply for humanity/compassion exception to RO or apply for a new PR visa?

Thank you for your time.

C

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone

I have a question about my situation.

I live in Australia but wanted to move to Canada since a while ago. I applied the PR card and received it on 8 Jan 2020. I stayed in Canada for one month after receiving the PR card and then returned to Australia to plan my move.

However Covid hit the world and Australia had travel bands for a couple of years. During this time I met my ex, got married, separated and now am going through a divorce. I still want to move to Canada but I cannot move immediately as I still need to be here sorting out the divorce and assets etc. My PR card expires on 8 Jan 2025 and I already don't meet the RO.

My question is what do I do now? Should I move to Canada later this year/early next year under the PR card and apply for humanity/compassion exception to RO or apply for a new PR visa?

Thank you for your time.

C
You don't have a very strong case for H&C. So I personally wouldn't recommend that. Two options:

1) Travel to Canada before the expiry of your PR card and hope you're not reported at the border for failing to meet the residency requirement. You'll probably be OK if you move this year. Then live in Canada for 2 years straight to meet the residency obligation and after that apply to renew your PR card.
2) Renounce PR and reapply from scratch. Make sure you understand what it takes to apply and be selected now

chun0431

May 28, 2018
You don't have a very strong case for H&C. So I personally wouldn't recommend that. Two options:

1) Travel to Canada before the expiry of your PR card and hope you're not reported at the border for failing to meet the residency requirement. You'll probably be OK if you move this year. Then live in Canada for 2 years straight to meet the residency obligation and after that apply to renew your PR card.
2) Renounce PR and reapply from scratch. Make sure you understand what it takes to apply and be selected now
Thank you! So in your view I can still apply to renew the PR card a year after it expires?