+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cannot link my paper application for work permit after receiving my application number (by webform)

newuser86

Jan 30, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
30-03-2023
Med's Done....
09-02-2023
Hi all,
I am seeking advice regarding my inability to link my paper application for work permits for my spouse and me after receiving a ( just 1) application number webform.

Backstory:
I completed a 2-year post-graduate certificate program in Dec 2020 and applied for my PGWP and my wife's OWP, as well as study permits for my kids, and we got those but our passports expired on Feb 8, 2022. As such we renewed our passports and applied (paper-based) for the balance of my PGWP (and my wife's OWP) in Dec 2021 (submitted on Dec 23 and received by their Alberta office on Dec 31, 2021. Since then I have sent a few web forms regarding the application number so I would be able to link our applications and be acknowledged as on "maintained status". After I have received the application number I have been trying to link the application(s) but they are not finding anything.

My plight:
Firstly, I find it painful that the IRCC website is still encouraging paper applications; 5580 (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5580-applying-work-permit-student-guide-paper.html) in this day and age. Also, since there is no automatic renewal for applicants in this identical situation (renewal/extension of PGWP due to premature passport expiry), why is it that we have to wait in the queue when this is only a formality and second payment for the same due work permit (I am just venting now).

My question:
Is there something I am missing to link my paper application? and do we need another application number for my wife's application? (both were sent together). I have tried calling but was never able to speak to someone, the system update on the application is just the date the application(s) was/were received.

Kindly,
Javid