+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cannot get new SIN number

KASukVan

Jun 23, 2019
Hello,

I have been in Canada on a temporary permit and then got my PR last year.

I quickly set about getting a new SIN using the online form. I didn't hear anything but assumed it was because of Covid delays. I then tried again over a month later and heard nothing. I eventually called as my SIN was about to expire. They told me to go to a Service Canada centre, which I did. When I did this, the person at the centre could not give me a new SIN numer as there was a typo in the middle name of my card. The typo is just on the card, not the digital confirmation I was sent. i.e. It's an error of the immigration officer. I unfortunately didn't notice it as I have a neurological condition which means it's quite easy for me to miss that type of thing - it's why I was so very diligent with the forms when I submitted them. Even the Service Canada representative didn't notice and kept trying to put it into the computer over and over.

They have said I will need to apply for a new PR card, which will take about three months. In the meantime, I am working on a now expired SIN. I cannot get a new one because my PR card is incorrect. I cannot use the digital confirmation of my PR because it also requires a valid government issued ID which I don't have as it expired when my old work permit and SIN expired. I have no idea what I should do or how I'm supposed to file my taxes. I have called immigration, the tax department, Service Canada but cannot get anywhere. I have been trying to sort this for over two months now.

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Katy

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Couldn't you get a temporary tax number from the tax department?

KASukVan

Jun 23, 2019
This was not offered. I went in person to Service Canada, called the tax department number and the immigration department number explaining my situation and asking what I should do. They've said they simply don't know.