+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cannot buy travel insurance for > 1 year??

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
Hi,

I am from Australia going to Canada on a working holiday visa (2 years). The terms of the visa requires me to purchase travel insurance for 2 years given this is the duration of the visa. However, when to I spoke to a flight center agent she told me that 1 year of travel insurance is the maximum they are able to sell. If I want 2 years I would have to get someone (e.g. parent, sibbling) to purchase travel insurance for me while I am in Canada.

1. I'm not sure if she is 100% correct about this
2. It's such a hassle to get someone to buy travel insurance for me, I want to buy it in one shot

There must be an option or an alternative means to buy health insurance for 2 years.

What does everyone think? Or know?

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
Thanks for the websites. I appreciate it.

However, I've called 2 of the Canadian insurance companies up and they do not have plans for >1year.

On the other hand, the Consulate General of Canada has told me that I must buy travel insurance for 2 years, which is the duration of the visa. Interesting...

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
simonvee said:
Thanks for the websites. I appreciate it.

However, I've called 2 of the Canadian insurance companies up and they do not have plans for >1year.

On the other hand, the Consulate General of Canada has told me that I must buy travel insurance for 2 years, which is the duration of the visa. Interesting...
It might be worth calling them for suggestions.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Is it travel insurance or medical insurance that you need? I used to work in travel insurance, and we never offered policies for more than 12 months because rates are reviewed every year based on claims made. Would medical cover be what you need and then you could get building & property contents insurance to cover your belongings for the time that you are living in Canada?

Just a thought....

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canooknic said:
Is it travel insurance or medical insurance that you need? I used to work in travel insurance, and we never offered policies for more than 12 months because rates are reviewed every year based on claims made. Would medical cover be what you need and then you could get building & property contents insurance to cover your belongings for the time that you are living in Canada?

Just a thought....
I think two years Medical cover is what is required.

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
To Canooknic,

The terms of my visa requires insurance that covers: Medical, hospitalization & repratiation.
This needs to be supported by documents to the port of entry officer once arriving in Canada.

All of the insurance companies that I have called up so far just have insurance for 1 year max. I'd apprecriate any recommendations to insurance companies that sells insurance greater than 1 year.

On 2nd option, as I just found out from the WHP website, is if I am unable to purchase insurance >1 year, the port of entry officer has the authority to shorten the length of my visa coinciding with the duration of my insurance. This may mean that I must somehow extend my WHP visa once I have lived a year in Canada. Such a hassle!! I wish I could find a company that sells for two years.

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
This leads me to another curiosity..........

If the government of Australia requires me to prove insurance coverage upon entry into Canada, what happens when I re-apply for another WHV (2 years WHILST living in Canada). Must I demonstrate insurance coverage? I did not provide insurance details whatsoever when applying for the 1st WHV. The only person that checks for insurance is the Port of Entry Officer. However, in the future I will be IN Canada, therefore will not come face to face with the officer, how will the Australian government know if I bought insurance or not.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How about if you buy the first year insurance in "A" company and second year in "B" company? Total 2 years then.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
simonvee said:
This leads me to another curiosity..........

If the government of Australia requires me to prove insurance coverage upon entry into Canada, what happens when I re-apply for another WHV (2 years WHILST living in Canada). Must I demonstrate insurance coverage? I did not provide insurance details whatsoever when applying for the 1st WHV. The only person that checks for insurance is the Port of Entry Officer. However, in the future I will be IN Canada, therefore will not come face to face with the officer, how will the Australian government know if I bought insurance or not.
They only have to ask. they can easily add a B/F date on your file.

rng

Jan 25, 2012
@simonvee; what did you end up doing? I'm leaving in a few months and am having the same problem.

vancouver_guy

May 16, 2012
You do not have to be a citizen or permanant resident to be eligible for provincial government medical plans.

I am fairly certain that student visa's as well as working visa's allow you to sign up for provincial medical coverage - there may be some restrictions such as duration in Canada etc. Generally, this means that if you meet the requirements you should be able to purchase provincial medical plans (e.g. MSP for BC or OHIP for Ontario etc).

Each province has a different waiting period before your medical coverage kicks in, depending on which province you will be staying in check the specific province for medical coverage plan and rules. You might have to purchase an interim private insurance to bridge the gap between arrival and qualifaction for provincial medical coverage. For example in BC there is a several(2?) month wait for those that qualify for Provinical Medical Services Plan (MSP), while in Alberta there is no wait period as far as I know. Each province is slightly different.

Quick notes

- While Provincial Medical Coverage is comprehensive health care coverage, but does not include travel insurance, prescriptions, dental and such.

- As an example the cost for BC MSP is about $60 per month for those that qualify...

birdman

Jul 10, 2012
Hey, I have applied to renew my IEC recently, I am aussie in canada been here 2 years already and got approved for 2nd one I went to the boarder and got told cause my insurance was 6 months they only could give me a permit for 6 months and i also have the province alberta health care. Such a joke so i am currently on a 3 week visitor visa to sort out insurance

Also rang consulate general in sydney and said cannot find a policy for two years they said I will just have to get a year and then renew my visa again in a year go through this process all over again. why they handing out 2 year visas and cannot get travel insurance to cover the whole time.

Tried to get a policy for this year and then another one for next but the insurance companies I have searched say there premiums change each year.
Pretty screwed.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

birdman said:
Hey, I have applied to renew my IEC recently, I am aussie in canada been here 2 years already and got approved for 2nd one I went to the boarder and got told cause my insurance was 6 months they only could give me a permit for 6 months and i also have the province alberta health care. Such a joke so i am currently on a 3 week visitor visa to sort out insurance

Also rang consulate general in sydney and said cannot find a policy for two years they said I will just have to get a year and then renew my visa again in a year go through this process all over again. why they handing out 2 year visas and cannot get travel insurance to cover the whole time.

Tried to get a policy for this year and then another one for next but the insurance companies I have searched say there premiums change each year.
Pretty screwed.
1. You buy a years worth, and then next year you buy another years worth. The reason that they won't take notice of the provincial health service is that it doesn't cover repatriation.