+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cancel PR Card after first landing

mmahmud

Star Member
Mar 30, 2018
Hi, my situation is highly unusual. I landed in Vancouver on November but I need to go back immediately to my country. Have not received my PR card yet and it is fine if it is cancelled. But I do not want to leave without finishing everything properly. Its been around a month since my landing. So my questions is, how do I proceed? Should I contact IRCC to cancel my PR card?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, my situation is highly unusual. I landed in Vancouver on November but I need to go back immediately to my country. Have not received my PR card yet and it is fine if it is cancelled. But I do not want to leave without finishing everything properly. Its been around a month since my landing. So my questions is, how do I proceed? Should I contact IRCC to cancel my PR card?
Why would you cancel your PR card? This doesn't make any sense. You don't have to wait for your PR card to arrive. You can leave Canada now.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Processing time is 2 months. It’s normal you don’t have it yet. Did you give a mailing address when you landed?

mmahmud

Star Member
Mar 30, 2018
Why would you cancel your PR card? This doesn't make any sense. You don't have to wait for your PR card to arrive. You can leave Canada now.
Want to cancel it because otherwise it will arrive in the mail to where I live and someone else can maybe abuse it. And there might be legal staff related to this as well. Just want to make sure everything is properly taken care of so there are no legal issues.

mmahmud

Star Member
Mar 30, 2018
Processing time is 2 months. It’s normal you don’t have it yet. Did you give a mailing address when you landed?
I did. The processing time showed 47 days. I would like to take care of everything properly so there are no legal issues anywhere.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
How do you want to come back to Canada without PR card?
1000s of people are in the same position as you..never heard of anyone canceling their card.

mmahmud

Star Member
Mar 30, 2018
Submit a web form requesting a change of address after finding someone who can receive your PR card on your behalf and forward it to you or destroy it for you.
Thanks. That sounds good actually. Makes more sense. I am already working here, just joined. Do you know if I have to submit a tax return for this? Or I can just leave?

King.bill

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
Thanks. That sounds good actually. Makes more sense. I am already working here, just joined. Do you know if I have to submit a tax return for this? Or I can just leave?
There's nothing which can stop you from leaving. People will tell you mailing PR card is not safe and blah blah.. but you will be fine. Your employer should provide you with T4 in January or early February and you can file taxes from anywhere you are using CRA's netfile. You can only file tax for 2018 in February 2019.

mmahmud

Star Member
Mar 30, 2018
There's nothing which can stop you from leaving. People will tell you mailing PR card is not safe and blah blah.. but you will be fine. Your employer should provide you with T4 in January or early February and you can file taxes from anywhere you are using CRA's netfile. You can only file tax for 2018 in February 2019.
Thanks a lot. That's what I was looking for. Spot on.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So what is the alternative?
Just remember that if you have no arrangement for someone to courier your card to you in your home country that you will need to apply for a PRTD in order to be able to board a plane back to Canada.

mmahmud

Star Member
Mar 30, 2018
Just remember that if you have no arrangement for someone to courier your card to you in your home country that you will need to apply for a PRTD in order to be able to board a plane back to Canada.
Understood. Thanks. One question, can I change the address to another province than the one where I landed?