+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Work Visa - validity and extension

ahgareesh

Apr 15, 2016
Hey there, hoping someone can help me!

I applied for a Canadian working visa from NZ last year. They last 23 months. I got approved for this application sometime in June last year, but cancelled my planned working holiday to Canada. I'm hoping to go for the next winter season.
The letter of approval I got says that I need to enter Canada no later than the date on the letter which is 29/06/16- at which stage when I arrive the 23 month Visa will be 'activated'.

Here are my questions...
I went to Canada for a 2 week holiday in January 2016- nothing was mentioned by anyone in Customs or arrivals or anyone at the airport... is it safe to assume that the visa was not activated at this point as no one mentioned it? Is there a way to find out whether or not it was 'activated'?

Is there any way to extend the validity of my approved Visa? So that I can arrive in Canada later that the current cut off date of June 29?

Will I have any issues applying for a new working visa if the answer to the above question is NO?

Hopefully someone can help me! Look forward to you answers... thanks so much.

Ravikk

Apr 14, 2016
I am looking for the same, work visa extension and came to know about LMO that only category that can help you to stay and work longer in canada. But have no brief idea about LMO process and criteria.

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ahgareesh said:
Hey there, hoping someone can help me!

I applied for a Canadian working visa from NZ last year. They last 23 months. I got approved for this application sometime in June last year, but cancelled my planned working holiday to Canada. I'm hoping to go for the next winter season.
The letter of approval I got says that I need to enter Canada no later than the date on the letter which is 29/06/16- at which stage when I arrive the 23 month Visa will be 'activated'.

Here are my questions...
I went to Canada for a 2 week holiday in January 2016- nothing was mentioned by anyone in Customs or arrivals or anyone at the airport... is it safe to assume that the visa was not activated at this point as no one mentioned it? Is there a way to find out whether or not it was 'activated'?

Is there any way to extend the validity of my approved Visa? So that I can arrive in Canada later that the current cut off date of June 29?

Will I have any issues applying for a new working visa if the answer to the above question is NO?

Hopefully someone can help me! Look forward to you answers... thanks so much.
You would know if the permit was activated as they staple it into your passport - safe to assume that didn't happen.

I don't think there is any way to extend the letter of invitation and given that NZ only gets the one participation I'm fairly sure you are in a use it or lose it situation. I know that for the aussies the 'participation' is counted from when the permit is approved online, not when it is activated at the border.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ahgareesh said:
No - there is no way to extend it. Use it or lose it.

Unfortunately you won't qualify for a second IEC/working holiday visa since Kiwis can only participate once.

If you don't arrive and trigger your IEC in time and want to come her to work in the future, you'll need to obtain a close work permit by first securing a full time job offer in Canada and an approved LMIA.

ahgareesh

Apr 15, 2016
Thanks so much for your responses! OK so basically I need to go to Canada for a holiday before June 29 to activate the working visa? Then I could come home until around October when I would head back to live and work...

Also- there's a chance that the two years actually begins upon approval, and not when I actually enter Canada?
Not that that is too relevant I suppose- I need to go to Canada to activate it anyway.

I guess my biggest remaining question is- is there a way I can double check that my approval letter is still valid before I travel to Canada with the purpose of activating it?
It's a long way to go to find out I can't even activate it because there is some reason it is no longer valid...

Thanks in advance- this has been so helpful. I really appreciate it.
Cheers