+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian work experience company requirements

lokesharora

Jul 13, 2018
Hi,

I have recently graduated from 1-year post graduate diploma in Project Managment in IT from Ontario.

I will be filing my work permit now. I also have received a job offer from a start-up company. I would like to know if there are any specific requirements of a company for filing a PR a year later.

If I join this start-up, will I be eligible to show Canadian work experience during my PR process?

I would appreciate any information on the same. Thanks in advance.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Hi,

I have recently graduated from 1-year post graduate diploma in Project Managment in IT from Ontario.

I will be filing my work permit now. I also have received a job offer from a start-up company. I would like to know if there are any specific requirements of a company for filing a PR a year later.

If I join this start-up, will I be eligible to show Canadian work experience during my PR process?

I would appreciate any information on the same. Thanks in advance.
Hi there.

As long as you are getting paid reasonably under your NOC code. And also you file your taxes and work 30 hours a week for a year, you should be fine. All you need is a letter from the company that states your position, duties, salary and the dates you started and finished (or ongoing) once you want to apply.

Once you have all those you can apply under CEC. It's good that you are thinking ahead. Read this link for more information, everything you need is stated in there: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html

Just so you know, Post Graduate Work Permit will be issued once in your life time in Canada, that means after it expires if you decide to study more and get another PGWP, you'll be denied. So bare in mind that you have plan ahead and use all of your days in that 1 year to work and get eligible. That means from day 1 of your PGWP to the day it expires. Of course there will be more options down the road, such as PNPs and applying for a new work permit, but it's much much more difficult to obtain in contrast to PGWP.

Best of luck mate,

Reactions: lokesharora

Soj917

Jul 14, 2018
Hi guys,

I have a question and I hope someone can help me with this situation. I just got my ITA under CEC couple days ago but I noticed that I was asked to provide offer letter, employment letter and employment records.

Upon further research I found out that it was because I answered Yes to the "do you have a valid offer" question.

Can I still change it to no when I update the profile or would it be misrepresentation?

Thanks for your reply

lokesharora

Jul 13, 2018
Hi there.

As long as you are getting paid reasonably under your NOC code. And also you file your taxes and work 30 hours a week for a year, you should be fine. All you need is a letter from the company that states your position, duties, salary and the dates you started and finished (or ongoing) once you want to apply.

Once you have all those you can apply under CEC. It's good that you are thinking ahead. Read this link for more information, everything you need is stated in there: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html

Just so you know, Post Graduate Work Permit will be issued once in your life time in Canada, that means after it expires if you decide to study more and get another PGWP, you'll be denied. So bare in mind that you have plan ahead and use all of your days in that 1 year to work and get eligible. That means from day 1 of your PGWP to the day it expires. Of course there will be more options down the road, such as PNPs and applying for a new work permit, but it's much much more difficult to obtain in contrast to PGWP.

Best of luck mate,
Thanks for the response, it helped me.

By the way, is there any specific requirement for the company to be as listed here are 3 types of companies: https://www.bdc.ca/en/articles-tools/start-buy-business/start-business/pages/advantages-different-business-structures.aspx

Do I need to confirm with the owners whether their company is Partnership or Incorporation?

Also, in case if I have to switch between companies in this 1 year, will it still be counted as valid experience put together?

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Thanks for the response, it helped me.

By the way, is there any specific requirement for the company to be as listed here are 3 types of companies: https://www.bdc.ca/en/articles-tools/start-buy-business/start-business/pages/advantages-different-business-structures.aspx

Do I need to confirm with the owners whether their company is Partnership or Incorporation?

Also, in case if I have to switch between companies in this 1 year, will it still be counted as valid experience put together?
No worries,

In all honesty it doesn't matter! If the company is registered and is able to generate income and employ people and pay taxes for them, it's all good. It's none of your concern if they are partnership or incorporation! As long as they can produce the official papers you're after, it's fine. All true and legit! Even if they functioned for a limited time. Just so you know you can't make up a company yourself either! Remember it is Canadian Experience Class, meaning you need to be working and employed by a Canadian Company that is already in place, not your own.

If you switch companies it's all fine as long as you don't shift your job dramatically! Meaning your NOC code doesn't go from an IT manager to a Chef! Although it's all fine but it will raise some flags and it's never guaranteed a good outcome.

Best of luck mate,

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Hi guys,

I have a question and I hope someone can help me with this situation. I just got my ITA under CEC couple days ago but I noticed that I was asked to provide offer letter, employment letter and employment records.

Upon further research I found out that it was because I answered Yes to the "do you have a valid offer" question.

Can I still change it to no when I update the profile or would it be misrepresentation?

Thanks for your reply
Hi there,

Either compose a letter and explain that you misread the question, but you had the job and a job offer at the time. Or ask your company to provide you with a current job contract and the offer they have for you, for instance if you will get a raise at some point, or your contact is from date x to date y, etc.

I would personally go for the former, and still will include the documents in the latter.

Best of luck,

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

Doesn't matter which it is. You certainly do not need to provide this upfront. But there are some cases where IRCC has difficulty verifying the existence of a company; if this happens, they will ask for more documentation.

Yes.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi,

The requirement is that it has to be paid employment. Sometimes start-ups offer alternative compensation, this can be difficult (but not impossible) to document to IRCC's satisfaction.

The only other caution I would add is if your job has a "managerial" NOC (NOC starts with a 0) but there are no employees to manage...

lokesharora

Jul 13, 2018
Thanks for all the responses.

One last query: Is this job offer which is not LMIA approved, useful in increasing CRS points for express entry profile?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
One last query: Is this job offer which is not LMIA approved, useful in increasing CRS points for express entry profile?
I think you are asking about the points for having a valid job offer. If you are on a PGWP, then no. You would need to get an LMIA to have it count as a valid job offer.