+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian with Indian passport surrender process

Simplesim

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Hi Team,

I recently received Canadian passport and researched about the surrendership process, I had Indian Passport. Since I am from Regina, we ahve CGI Vancouver office. I will be applying online. Can someone please help me with below questions please
1) Amount per person mentioned on website is $129.40 however I read few post (walk-in ones) they had to pay more not sure on the final amount
2) Also,Do we have to submit Canadian Passport as well?
3) Indian Passport only the latest one I believe, we need original and first and last 2 pages
4) Copy of Canadian certificate
5) Proof of address
6) Photo With no Stamp required.
7) Application form
8) Checklist

Can someone please confirm on this.

I deeply appreciate groups response on this.

Thanks,

sujaysuresh27

Star Member
May 10, 2023
1. Yes the amount is 129.4 for mail in applications.
2. Yes, you have to submit your original Canadian passport as well as a copy - signed by you
3. Yes, submit the latest original Indian passport held, as well as a copy of the first 2 and last 2 pages signed by you
4. Copy of Canadian citizenship certificate signed by you
5. Driver's license copy or other address proof signed by you
6. 2'x2' photo to be pasted on the application form
7. Application form filled out and printed - signed by you
8. Checklist to be attached

Make sure you keep the documents in the order as in the checklist when putting it in the mail

Good luck!

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
2. Yes, you have to submit your original Canadian passport as well as a copy - signed by you
3. Yes, submit the latest original Indian passport held, as well as a copy of the first 2 and last 2 pages signed by you

Make sure you keep the documents in the order as in the checklist when putting it in the mail

Good luck!
Original Canadian passport is not needed - only copy is sufficient.

Reactions: desmat

novoiceplus

Star Member
May 4, 2020

Good luck!
did you apply recently in Vancouver area if yes what was your timeline?

sujaysuresh27

Star Member
May 10, 2023
Original Canadian passport is not needed - only copy is sufficient.
Are you sure? Because although the checklist only asks for a copy of the Canadian passport, when you look below in the information booklet, it sayssubmit original and copy of Canadian passport.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Are you sure? Because although the checklist only asks for a copy of the Canadian passport, when you look below in the information booklet, it sayssubmit original and copy of Canadian passport.
Yes this is confirmed by numerous people - there is no reason for BLS or Indian embassy to hold on to your Canadian passport. I plan to submit my surrender application later this month at BLS in Brampton.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
You should carry all originals (passports, certificates, proof of residence etc). They have no authority to hold Canadian govt issued documents.
They will verify the originals and return back to you over the counter. The only original document they will keep is the Indian passport which will be returned once the SC process is completed.

Reactions: desmat

sujaysuresh27

Star Member
May 10, 2023
You should carry all originals (passports, certificates, proof of residence etc). They have no authority to hold Canadian govt issued documents.
They will verify the originals and return back to you over the counter. The only original document they will keep is the Indian passport which will be returned once the SC process is completed.
That is if we apply for the surrender certificate in person. What if I am applying by mail?