+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian visitor visa for parents from US

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Hi all,

Has anyone of you applied Canadian visitor visa for parents while they are visiting you in US (with B2) by providing your US financial documents? I’m interested in knowing if anyone used their US bank statements to prove finances for the parents as they don’t have own funds. If so, can you please provide the list of documents that were submitted.

I’m also not sure what to mention as purpose of visit as we are planning to take them along with us for few months for tourism when we move to Canada in near future. Is it okay to mention the purpose as visiting friends and family given that we are still in US?

I and my spouse are landed PRs living still living in US on H1/H4 visas and we are planning to apply Canadian visitor visa for my spouse parents.

Thanks.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Based on other posts here generally advised to apply for visitor visas whilst in home country given the need to demonstrate ties to home country and fact will leave Canada directly as there is no guarantee they would be allowed back into the US for example.

Not saying necessarily would be an issue applying from the US as visitors but seems to be a general challenge in doing so versus from home country, so just keep that in mind when applying. Note also the application is the parents application and not yours so not having their own funds could also be an issue regardless of any commitments you might make.

Last edited:

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Based on other posts here generally advised to apply for visitor visas whilst in home country given the need to demonstrate ties to home country and fact will leave Canada . Not saying necessarily would be an issue applying from the US as visitors but seems to be a general challenge in doing so, so just keep that in mind when applying. Note also the application is your parents application so not having their own funds could also be an issue
Thanks.. I have heard that it is recommended to apply from home country too, but we are going to try this anyways as we have heard both approvals and denials for similar circumstances. If it’s denied, we would apply again from India.

We are planning to provide their bank details and some property details in home country to demonstrate ties back home.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
I am in the same situation as yours. We chose to get it done in India. My parents found it much easier. I filled most of their application online from the US. They had to visit the application center twice, once for biometrics and once to submit passports. Then the passports were delivered to home by courier. There is no specific placeholder to upload bank or property documents. You can include those in the optional document section if you want. I had only written a letter of explanation and did not include any bank/property document. Since they had a valid US Visa and traveled to US a few times, the Canadian Visa was approved very quickly.
Also note that Canadian Visa is valid only up to passport expiry. So if the passport is close to expiry, get it renewed first.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
I am in the same situation as yours. We chose to get it done in India. My parents found it much easier. I filled most of their application online from the US. They had to visit the application center twice, once for biometrics and once to submit passports. Then the passports were delivered to home by courier. There is no specific placeholder to upload bank or property documents. You can include those in the optional document section if you want. I had only written a letter of explanation and did not include any bank/property document. Since they had a valid US Visa and traveled to US a few times, the Canadian Visa was approved very quickly.
Also note that Canadian Visa is valid only up to passport expiry. So if the passport is close to expiry, get it renewed first.
Thanks. In the documents checklist for tourist visa in cic website, I do see proof of financial support. Is it not required during application?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Thanks. In the documents checklist for tourist visa in cic website, I do see proof of financial support. Is it not required during application?
You see your own personalized checklist when you complete online application, with placeholders to upload documents. Just like the PR application.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
You see your own personalized checklist when you complete online application, with placeholders to upload documents. Just like the PR application.
Got it.. I thought proof of financial support was very pretty universal document. So you didn't upload any kind of document to demonstrate ties to home country or to prove means of financial support for the trip?

Also, did you provide any of your documents like PR card / passport or any invitation letter?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You have a few issues. Your parents must show that they have their own funds to get approved for a TRV. How long have your parents been in the US? Have they travelled to India and returned home at least one time but preferably longer. Given that they are with you in the US and seem unlikely to travel on their own to Canada it will appear as they will be moving from the US to Canada with you. I would suggest they return to India. If they don’t have their own funds you will likely have to wait until you qualify and apply for a supervisa. Usually around a year.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Got it.. I thought proof of financial support was very pretty universal document. So you didn't upload any kind of document to demonstrate ties to home country or to prove means of financial support for the trip?

Also, did you provide any of your documents like PR card / passport or any invitation letter?
I think I included a copy of my COPR in the letter of explanation.