+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Visa Rejected

sunnyverma009

May 15, 2015
I am a 18 years old boy and had applied for the Canadian Visitor Visa(less than 6 months). I wanted to visit Canada for my sister's Convocation ceremony. But my Visitor Visa has been denied because of two reasons:-
1) That my passport is brand new and US and Canada dont give visitor visa to people holding a brand new passport.
2) That I didn't show my purpose of visit. Although I had clearly attached the invitation letter which I had received from my sister's university which
clearly mentions the purpose fof visit that is to attend the Convocation Ceremony.

Please help me.

amelia1727

Mar 10, 2012
sunnyverma009 said:
I am a 18 years old boy and had applied for the Canadian Visitor Visa(less than 6 months). I wanted to visit Canada for my sister's Convocation ceremony. But my Visitor Visa has been denied because of two reasons:-
1) That my passport is brand new and US and Canada dont give visitor visa to people holding a brand new passport.

It is not true that Canada and USA do not give visa for brand new passport holder. Look at your rejection letter it will clearly states the reason for your rejection.

2) That I didn't show my purpose of visit. Although I had clearly attached the invitation letter which I had received from my sister's university which
clearly mentions the purpose fof visit that is to attend the Convocation Ceremony.

How long are you planning to stay here? DO you have funds? Are you still studying in your home country? Where is your family, are they here in Canada?

Officers are looking on this side too.. even though you include your sisters invitation it all depends on your background.

Please help me.

brittanyquesada

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2015
AOR Received.
01-15-2016
Med's Done....
06-23-2016
VISA ISSUED...
05-04-2017
LANDED..........
02-20-2017
sunnyverma009 said:
Maybe a possible reason would be that you aren't showing travel history (passports are one way of proving that you have some) or boarding passes or pictures, i'm not sure what else..

I know it's stupid because I thought the same way, my husband was 21 when we first applied for his first TRV and his passport only had one stamp but it was because he went away for a couple of days. and he was rejected for that reason the first 3 times we applied. But anyway I thought it was stupid because how is a young person supposed to be able to have lots of travel history..

Maybe if you decide to reapply you really have to show reasons for why you are going BACK to your home country, you didn't give much more detail to what you sent, but a letter from someone showing that you will be staying with them or attach a hotel booking for the dates that her ceremony is..

sunnyverma009

May 15, 2015
brittanyquesada said:
Maybe a possible reason would be that you aren't showing travel history (passports are one way of proving that you have some) or boarding passes or pictures, i'm not sure what else..

I know it's stupid because I thought the same way, my husband was 21 when we first applied for his first TRV and his passport only had one stamp but it was because he went away for a couple of days. and he was rejected for that reason the first 3 times we applied. But anyway I thought it was stupid because how is a young person supposed to be able to have lots of travel history..

Maybe if you decide to reapply you really have to show reasons for why you are going BACK to your home country, you didn't give much more detail to what you sent, but a letter from someone showing that you will be staying with them or attach a hotel booking for the dates that her ceremony is..
Well actually the point is that I had attached a letter from my college which shows that I am a student of that college and I am pursuing my BTech for session 2014-2018. Also I had attached a letter from my sister which says that I would be living with her for a period of 1 month after which i will comeback to India.
My question is that how do i show my travel history?
And thanks for replying to my question earlier :)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Sunny,

Did your parents apply to attend your sister's convocation? Or was it only you?

What ties did you show to India apart from your undergraduate degree program (which I think you have not presented properly as a *strong tie*)?

Are you re-applying? What is the purpose of your visit this time?

Cheers :)

sunnyverma009

May 15, 2015
Ma'am I would like to tell you that I had attached the list of following documents with my application from:-
1) Invitation letter from my sister's university which clearly mentions that it is addressed to me and is inviting me to attend my sister's convocation ceremony.
2)Invitation letter from my sister which clearly mentions that she would be providing me accomodation at her home for 1 month after which i would leave Canada and come back to India.
3)Financial statements from my Dad's Bank account which shows that I have enough funds for me to stay there for a minimum of 2 months.
4)Letter from my college which shows that I am pursuing my BTech for session 2014-2018.
5)College ID Card.
6)NOC from my Dad stating that he has no problem with me travelling to Canada alone duly signed by him.
7)Photocopy of my Sister's Canadian Passport(She is a canadian national).
8)My newly made passport( I have just turned 18).

As for your queries regarding my visa rejection reasons, it states that:-
1) I have not shown my travel history.(Would you help me as i how am i supposed to show my travel history)?
2) I have not shown my purpose of visit.( Would you like to explain me how else am i supposed to show those people my purpose of visit?)

And for your other queries:-
1) I am planning to stay there for 1 month which I have clearly shown in my application form and in my sister's personal letter of invitation.
2) I have shown that I have enough funds to stay in Canada for a minimum period of 2 months(although i only intend to stay for a period of 1 month)
3) My family is in India.
4) Yes I am pursuing my BTech for session 2014-2018 and i even have submitted my 3rd Semester Fees of around Rs.92000.(which i think shows that I would be coming back to India to complete it.)

Thanks for replying to my queries. A reply in the future would be highly appreciated. :)

sunnyverma009

May 15, 2015
Bryanna said:
Hi Sunny,

Did your parents apply to attend your sister's convocation? Or was it only you?

What ties did you show to India apart from your undergraduate degree program (which I think you have not presented properly as a *strong tie*)?

Are you re-applying? What is the purpose of your visit this time?

Cheers :)
Hi Bryanna,

It was only me who had applied for the Visitor Visa.
I don't understand what ties do you mean I have with India which I can show to prove that I would comeback to India.
I am thinking of re-applying with the same purpose of visit i.e. to attend my sister's convocation ceremony because I actually don't have any other reason except the ceremony and meeting her.

Also would you be kind enough to tell me any ideas about the 'ties' which I can show towards India? ::)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Sunny,

Firstly, the visa officer may be inclined to question why you and not your parents are attending your sister's convocation.

Secondly, young people are viewed as potential overstayers unless they demonstrate good reasons for not wanting to overstay.

Thirdly, if your purpose of visit is only to attend the convocation/meet your sister then hypothetically you should leave immediately after the convocation.

So, for 'Purpose of Visit' you must provide an itinerary of places you would like to visit, meeting friends/relatives, convocation ceremony, etc

There are people who travel abroad from a very young age (much younger than 18), while a majority may not travel until much later. So, you cannot do much to improve your Travel History at this point.

You must focus on proving that you will return to India:
a. You may want to include a 'Letter of Financial Support' from your dad stating he will pay for your airfare, expenses for your visit.... you will have to include your dad's 6 months bank statements.

b. Provide additional evidence that you are studying.... for eg: latest examination results.... add an explanation about resuming classes in July/August (??) and why you have paid the fees for Semester 3.... you can also mention that the timing for this visit is ideal as you have summer vacations presently which coincides with your sister's convocation and your itinerary

c. Are you enrolled for any other training/coaching/student program/vocational program?

d. Are you an only son for your parents? Any other siblings who live with your parents? You may want to show that you have more immediate family in India than Canada

e. Did you buy plane tickets or was it travel booking?

When you re-apply do not use words like "stay" or "living" with your sister.... as a visitor, you're only "visiting"

All the best :)

sunnyverma009

May 15, 2015
Hi Bryanna,

First of all thanks for replying to my query. :)

Well actually the point is that my Mother's passport has been sent for renewal as it had expired. Also my Dad cannot travel as he is running a factory which he would not be able to leave. And since I would be having my summer vacations so I would be able to go and visit my sister.
Also I havn't prepared any itinerary of places to visit. It would be like i would be only visiting Toronto and Windsor.(Windsor only to attend her ceremony).
As for proving my return to India:-
1) I had already attached the letter of financial support and shown my father's bank account statement and there was no financial objection.
2) I havn't actually received my first semester result from college. I know my marks but we havn't yet been given a hard copy of result. Although if i attach a printout of my result would it work?
3) No, I am not enrolled in any other program.
4) Yes I am the only son of my parents. We are two siblings only ie me and my sister.
5) Actually I was going to buy my ticket only after my visa was granted.

Hoping for a reply :)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Sunny,

You're welcome :)

Ideally, it would've been better if either your mom/dad was accompanying you.... re-issue of expired passport can be done faster under Tatkal in about 1 week I think.

a. Purpose of Visit: You'll do some sightseeing, right?.... so do draw up a tentative day-by-day plan for your visit.... not just for the convocation.... you must show you have the finances to cover this itinerary..... there's so much to do in/around Toronto..... so please do some research/places you want to visit.... and work out an itinerary (even if it means staying in and watching TV on some days.... and visiting the all-time favorite ie Niagara Falls)

b. Hope you provided 6 months - and not just 1 month's - bank statements of your dad

c. You've enrolled for Semester 3 which is the first 6 months of Year 2, right? But you have not received the marks/results for Year 1 Semester 1? Please attach Semesters 1 and 2 mark sheets as this will show you're a genuine student

d. It's not necessary to buy plane tickets in advance.... so, you're right.... do add a travel booking and mention you will confirm it when you get the TRV

Cheers

sunnyverma009

May 15, 2015
Hi Bryanna,

Actually my father's passport has also expired so he is also in no condition to travel with me. And as for my mom, her passport had some changes done to it. So it is taking some time. By the time her passport would come, it would be too late to apply for visa as my sister's convocation ceremony is on 18th June.

a) for how many days you think i should make an itinerary? what about 15-18 days?

b) yes i had provided 6 months bank statement and along with i had also shown his past 2 years IT returns.

c) actually i am currently appearing for my semester 2 final exams and we are supposed to submit the next semester's fees in advance. and as for the result, we receive our result while we are preparing to give our next semester final exams. so, yes i know my result of semester 1 but i have seen it online and i don't have an official hard copy given to me by my college.

d) By travel booking you mean that i show them the tentative dates for which i would be travelling and by what date i would be back in India?

AUTO102

May 19, 2015
sunnyverma009 said:

Please help me.
You are age 18 and traveling to convocation without parents. Creates a red flag that you may or may not return since you need to show ties to your country of origin. Had you applied for study visa at your age, you may have got the acceptance.

sunnyverma009

May 15, 2015
AUTO102 said:
You are age 18 and traveling to convocation without parents. Creates a red flag that you may or may not return since you need to show ties to your country of origin. Had you applied for study visa at your age, you may have got the acceptance.
I only intend to visit Canada. I don't want a study visa as I am currently enrolled in a BTech course for session 2014-2018. As such I dont think I would have been given a study visa.

AUTO102

May 19, 2015
sunnyverma009 said:
I only intend to visit Canada. I don't want a study visa as I am currently enrolled in a BTech course for session 2014-2018. As such I dont think I would have been given a study visa.
I am not saying you should apply for Student Visa. I am just drawing a comparison based on your age, Student Visa will be easier to get instead of Visitor Visa. Just like at age 45, Student visa will be tough to get unless it's a doctorate program.

Did you submit your school record with your application that you are studying and need to be back for the semester? All a Visa Officer need is an assurance that you will return back to your home country.