+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian VISA Indian Social Marriage

Anonymus1

Nov 20, 2016
Hello All,

My wife and I got married in India when we both were studying in Canada using our study permits (Social marriage, no court documents). Later I applied to renew my VISA and study permit and declared to be married and CIC did not ask me for a marriage certificate. However, now that I have a work permit, when I am applying for a VISA it is asking me for a marriage certificate which I do not have.

Under the circumstances, can I do any of the following to solve this problem

a. Get married in Canada to submit the new documents (although the marriage dates will not match with my previously declared date!).
b. Declare both of us a 'Common law partner'? Will not CIC ask why did you declare yourself married earlier?
c. Declare myself unmarried, given the fact that I never officially got married.
d. Go to India and obtain our marriage certificate stating the original date of marriage (In India this is allowed under the law)

My wife and I are under terrible pressure and we can not seem to find a way out. Please advise.

thinkshady

Jun 26, 2016
NOC Code......
Get Marriage certificate from India, that would be right and easy way. It is obligatory to get marriage certificate if you have declared as married.