+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian University Certificate

omarnabil

Apr 14, 2019
Hello, I have a bachelor degree from a university in Egypt equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in Canada. Currently, I am in the process of applying for immigration to Canada through the express entry program. Hence, I decided to enroll in an online post-secondary certificate from either MCmaster University or York University. I expect to gain points for earning an additional certificate to my bachelor’s degree for the said express entry program.

I am hence inquiring about the viability of Business Administration certificate from MCmaster University (15 credits) or the certificate in Risk Management from York University (12 credits), are they both considered acceptable certificates to earn points in the express entry program?

jamtocanada

Apr 14, 2019
Hello, I have a bachelor degree from a university in Egypt equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in Canada. Currently, I am in the process of applying for immigration to Canada through the express entry program. Hence, I decided to enroll in an online post-secondary certificate from either MCmaster University or York University. I expect to gain points for earning an additional certificate to my bachelor’s degree for the said express entry program.

I am hence inquiring about the viability of Business Administration certificate from MCmaster University (15 credits) or the certificate in Risk Management from York University (12 credits), are they both considered acceptable certificates to earn points in the express entry program?
I actually did the Mcmasters Certificate in business administration just compleetd last week and updated my express entry with it. Only issue I see popping up is they dont consider it as being a one year program even though I did it over two semesters. As a just in case I am going to complete another three courses for the diploma to try again should they reject the certificate. I suppose I will know in a few months if this works and I can probably advise then but would be great if someone else knew to save me th application fee I am now going to spend.

omarnabil

Apr 14, 2019
I actually did the Mcmasters Certificate in business administration just compleetd last week and updated my express entry with it. Only issue I see popping up is they dont consider it as being a one year program even though I did it over two semesters. As a just in case I am going to complete another three courses for the diploma to try again should they reject the certificate. I suppose I will know in a few months if this works and I can probably advise then but would be great if someone else knew to save me th application fee I am now going to spend.
I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t get the extra desired points, but hopefully they’ll consider the Diploma. I appreciate very much your reply as I was going to enroll today. So do you have any idea about the minimum credits required for a certificate to be accepted by the immigration department?

jamtocanada

Apr 14, 2019
I did get the points but I am not sure if they will accept it. Guess we will know in a few months if its ok. I dont know the minimum requirements for a certificate just hopeful.

bahariesmoon88

Star Member
May 23, 2018
Nassau, Bahamas

I would definitely go with the Diploma program from McMaster as 12-15 credit hours is equivalent to half a year of a university course rather than 24+ credits. I am currently enrolled in the McMaster Accounting diploma program and will be done in October. I haven't seen anyone did this before but I believe I will be good since its 33 credit hours from a Canadian university.

cesarcid

Oct 11, 2019

Did it work, after all?

Fantastica

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
I would definitely go with the Diploma program from McMaster as 12-15 credit hours is equivalent to half a year of a university course rather than 24+ credits. I am currently enrolled in the McMaster Accounting diploma program and will be done in October. I haven't seen anyone did this before but I believe I will be good since its 33 credit hours from a Canadian university.
Hi, please did you proceed with your diploma?

Fantastica

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
Cant proceed unless current application is rejected
Hi, please I don't understand what you mean by current application to be rejected to proceed

Could you please let me know how far your express-entry application is going with your 2 semester certificate from Mcmaster?
Have you gotten any feedback from your application regarding your education points?

I have a similar certificate. Thanks

Last edited:

jamtocanada

Apr 14, 2019
I have not gotten any feedback in regards to the certificate. I have 36 days left on my application to reach the 6 month mark. I still dont know if its accepted.

Fantastica

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
I have not gotten any feedback in regards to the certificate. I have 36 days left on my application to reach the 6 month mark. I still dont know if its accepted.
OK..... You should be fine....
I'm sure they would have let you know by now if there was an issue.
Have you thought of requesting GCMS notes? The notes could let you know what the VO thinks.