+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian spouse under Express Entry

Zaluzhna

May 15, 2019
Hi all,

I just received an ITA and started filling out an application. I am married to a Canadian, but decided to apply through Express entry instead. Now that I am filling out the application it is asking for a number of forms from my spouse (passport, birth certificate of his siblings etc.). I listed him as non-accompanying, so I don't understand what is the need for him to provide all the documents?

I didn't receive any additional points due to Canadian relatives/family. Should I go back in my application and change my marital status? Or how can we avoid the hassle of having to collect a number of documents for him as well?

Thanks in advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

I just received an ITA and started filling out an application. I am married to a Canadian, but decided to apply through Express entry instead. Now that I am filling out the application it is asking for a number of forms from my spouse (passport, birth certificate of his siblings etc.). I listed him as non-accompanying, so I don't understand what is the need for him to provide all the documents?

I didn't receive any additional points due to Canadian relatives/family. Should I go back in my application and change my marital status? Or how can we avoid the hassle of having to collect a number of documents for him as well?

Thanks in advance!
Wherever it asks for something for him, just upload a copy of his proof of citizenship instead.

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
Its true. If you have a Canadian spouse, you will not receive any additional points for Express Entry.
Yet, you don't have a choice and shall need to provide his documentation to prove that you are his legal spouse / CLP, that he resides in Canada, has legal status in Canada and that you cohabit (if that may be the case).

Since you are already married, you are can no longer change your marital status (or it would be misrepresentation!)

Trust me - submitting some documentation such as your marriage certificate, his passport, other ID such as his Drivers License, Utility Bills etc... is not too much trouble. And on the brighter side, your application is likely to be processed a tad faster since it's a lot easier to run back ground checks (if at all) on a Canadian citizen.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Its true. If you have a Canadian spouse, you will not receive any additional points for Express Entry.
Yet, you don't have a choice and shall need to provide his documentation to prove that you are his legal spouse / CLP, that he resides in Canada, has legal status in Canada and that you cohabit (if that may be the case).

Since you are already married, you are can no longer change your marital status (or it would be misrepresentation!)

Trust me - submitting some documentation such as your marriage certificate, his passport, other ID such as his Drivers License, Utility Bills etc... is not too much trouble. And on the brighter side, your application is likely to be processed a tad faster since it's a lot easier to run back ground checks (if at all) on a Canadian citizen.
OP does not have to provide any documents for him except proof of his Canadian citizenship. He is not included in the app and there are no background checks for him.

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
OP does not have to provide any documents for him except proof of his Canadian citizenship. He is not included in the app and there are no background checks for him.
Spoke from personal experience which came from extensive correspondence with IRCC.

In your Express Entry application if you state you have a Canadian spouse, you have a check list of documents to be uploaded.
These specifically include Proof of Relationship, Spouse passport and Family member proof of status.
Didn't see the need to upload these documents at first but IRCC advised me to adhere to the checklist so that my application would not be denied as incomplete.

OP free to choose any path or the opinion of any one else they choose. :) Cheers!

Last edited:

Zaluzhna

May 15, 2019
Spoke from personal experience which came from extensive correspondence with IRCC.

In your Express Entry application if you state you have a Canadian spouse, you have a check list of documents to be uploaded.
These specifically include Proof of Relationship, Spouse passport and Family member proof of status.
Didn't see the need to upload these documents at first but IRCC advised me to adhere to the checklist so that my application would not be denied as incomplete.

OP free to choose any path or the opinion of any one else they choose. :) Cheers!
Thank you both for your answers! The system is asking me for his ID, proof of citizenship (which would be the same as ID because we could provide his passport) and our marriage certificate. It's not that many documents.

The problem is when we listed his family info, it asked if he has relatives in Canada, and well, of course he has. So now besides providing his documentation, we have to provide IDs and proof of citizenship for his siblings, as well as proof of them being related. That is mostly that I feel is unnecessary and I don't want to bother his family if we can avoid it.

Do you think we could answer "no" to the question about Canadian relatives and then provide a LOE saying that he is already a Canadian citizen?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Proof of relationship is the marriage certificate, which is already a required document for OP anyways. The passport IS proof of status, which I already said to include in place of any requests for other documentation.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you both for your answers! The system is asking me for his ID, proof of citizenship (which would be the same as ID because we could provide his passport) and our marriage certificate. It's not that many documents.

The problem is when we listed his family info, it asked if he has relatives in Canada, and well, of course he has. So now besides providing his documentation, we have to provide IDs and proof of citizenship for his siblings, as well as proof of them being related. That is mostly that I feel is unnecessary and I don't want to bother his family if we can avoid it.

Do you think we could answer "no" to the question about Canadian relatives and then provide a LOE saying that he is already a Canadian citizen?
You do not need his family documents. Answer No and include his proof of citizenship.