+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian sponsoring American

Lindsay

Apr 8, 2008
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but have read many of the posts and everyone is so helpful...this seems like the best place to get info! I have a couple of questions and would love some advice. I am a Canadian citizen (living in Canada), planning on marrying an American citizen (living in the US) and then sponsoring him to live in Canada. Our preference is to apply inland. My question is, should we get married in the States and then both cross the border together (by car), stating that he will be applying for PR status, OR should he come over as a visitor (again we would cross together), then get married in Canada and then apply for PR?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Lindsay

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
It is illegal to enter Canada as a visitor with the intent of remaining in Canada. The border people will not let your fiancee enter under those circumstances. Keep in mind that your Fiancee will not be able to work legally until late in the immigration process. You should take care to read the CIC website carefully before you decide what is best. After reading much of the information on the website, I realized that 'immigrating isn't as easy as i thought." Lots of hoops to jump through. Lots of potential obsticals.

Best wishes!!

Lindsay

Apr 8, 2008
Thanks for your reply rgvinson. I guess I'm just confused as to how else to go about an inland application. How are you supposed to file an inland application when you can't even get "in"?!

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
I didn't say that you couldn't get in. An American can enter Canada as a visitor for six months at a time with just a drivers license and a birth certificate. Sometimes the border agents don't even ask to look at either. This happened to me once. (I am American also.) I suggest that you go for a visit and see how you like Canada. Outland applications take a lot less time than the inland process. Also, if you are living in Canada without a PR, you can't legally work there until late in the immigration process. My wife lives in Canada. I visit her from 10 hours away about once a month. Though it is not fun when it is time to leave, I know that the immigration process will be completed in about 3 months and I will be with her permanently, and I will be able to work without looking over my shoulder. I don't know how far you live from your spouse but there is a lot to consider before you choose your immigration strategy. Get onto the CIC website and read - read - read so you can make the wisest choice for you and your spouse.

Best wishes
RGV

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
Something else.... Once you are married and you apply 'outland', the border agents will let you come and go without trouble once they confirm that you have submitted an outland application. If you apply inland, you take a big risk if you leave the country. They will not let you return to Canada even though you have applied for PR. They will not let you visit because they will figure that you intended to stay illegally at your prior entry. So, you will not be able to leave Canada safely until the duration of the inland processing period. This process can take over a year. I have read on this blog about people who have applied 'inland' and were afraid to leave to visit sick relatives. Something to consider!!!!!

Best wishes.

RGV

Lindsay

Apr 8, 2008
Thanks again for all your advice. I'm actually the one living in Canada, and my fiance (we'll be married this summer) is in the US. So if we apply outland, I can visit him in the US and he can come to Canada for short visits without problems? Do you run into problems when you come to Canada to visit? How long has your application process taken so far?

Thanks,
Lindsay

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
My last visit was a month ago. I stayed there 3 weeks.. When I entered Canada, they asked me the purpose of my visit. I told them that I was visiting my wife and that I had already submitted an outland application for permanent resident. Of course they checked it out and confirmed it and allowed me to enter. You see, they know that because I have applied for PR 'outland' that I am not going to try to stay in Canada permanently. They know that I have to return to the states to deal with them. (ie. mail and stuff like that.) If I would have applied inland, they would not have let me enter because they would know that I am not just visiting. Americans can enter Canada as visitors on just our drivers licenses but remaining permanently is not visiting so we must have a PR Visa to enter canada on a permanent basis. Americans visiting Canada can visit for 6 months at a time.

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
Hi Lindsay-

My husband is Canadian and I am from the US- we just went through this process. We applied "outland" and I stayed in the states to work while my husband lived in Canada. It went very quickly- only about 6 months for the whole process. I am now up in Canada with my PR living and working here. I would recommend doing the outland application if you can because it is so much faster. We never had any issues visiting each other. Of course each situation is different so you both need to decide what is best for you. If you have any other questions let me know! I don't know anything about the inland app but I can help with outland app questions!

Lindsay

Apr 8, 2008
thanks for your reply npierce. That's great to hear, and congrats to you and your husband! The more I read...the more I think that outland is the way to go. I really appreciate your offer of advice, I just may send some questions your way! Where abouts in Canada are you living? (just wondering what processing office you went through).
Thanks,
Lindsay

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
i too am from the US and my husband is canadian, i was living in the states until march and i came to wait out our application process with my husband here in canada. wasnt a problem, we had proof we pair the fees and had an application in process.

Lindsay

Apr 8, 2008
Thanks for the post Tamee. So is your application "outland"? If so, did you tell them at the border that you were coming to Canada to live or just visit? I thought that once you applied "outland", you would have to wait for everything to clear before officially moving?
Thanks,
Lindsay

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
you cant OFFICIALLY move to canada until you get PR, but my husband came down to virginia to get us and together my husband, me and my 3 kids left virginia to canada to wait out the processing of our application. once we got to the border my husband told the IO where every one was from and said that we had an application in process and we wanted to come visit and wait out the application process, so they stamped my passport and off we went. we showed them receipts from immigration and told them how far along our application was. since our app was already transfered to NYC we didnt bother going inside for a visitor record, just a stamp on the passport was good enough cos we knew it would only be a month or two more to wait. and sure enough i landed one month and 10 days after arriving in canada. you cant work or get health care but kids can goto school while you are here visiting, but dont mention any of that to the border people. they didnt ask wether or not i had a job or home or anything in the states still, but take heed...EVERY IO IS DIFFERENT, so what is easy for one might be difficult for another, and id suggest crossing in the wee hours of the morning too like 2 or 3 am. also let ur hubby do the talking and ur only there to visit so dont bring uhaul full of things.oh and we filed outland

Lindsay

Apr 8, 2008
Thanks Tamee, very helpful info to know!! It really seems like it's a big gamble if you want to enter early. Can you tell me how long your whole process took? Are you living in Ontario?

Fyara

Apr 24, 2008
My Fiance is Canadian, I am American. We will be getting married in the US in September and I will be moving to Canada. We are just starting to look into all of this. :) Thanks for the info.

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
from the time mississauga got my application til the time i got PPR is was 4 and a half months.and yes im living in ontario.