+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian sponsoring American spouse clarification

Doglover18

May 29, 2018
Hi there! This is my first time posting, I have been following along and found this thread to be very useful.

I just wanted to clarify. I am a Canadian citizen and I will be marrying my American boyfriend soon. Once we are married, we intend to live in Canada. My American spouse is able to enter Canada as a "visitor" and then we can apply inland, is that right? I understand right now for Americans applying inland and outland both take 12 months and so inland would give us the least amount of time apart as we would also apply for OWP at the same time.

I also would like to hear of others that have had to go through the FBI clearance process. Where do you start and how do you submit fingerprints?

TIA!

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hi there! This is my first time posting, I have been following along and found this thread to be very useful.

I just wanted to clarify. I am a Canadian citizen and I will be marrying my American boyfriend soon. Once we are married, we intend to live in Canada. My American spouse is able to enter Canada as a "visitor" and then we can apply inland, is that right? I understand right now for Americans applying inland and outland both take 12 months and so inland would give us the least amount of time apart as we would also apply for OWP at the same time.

I also would like to hear of others that have had to go through the FBI clearance process. Where do you start and how do you submit fingerprints?

TIA!
Yes...after your marriage your and your American spouse could come, visit and reside in Canada and apply Inland.........your American spouse is visa exempt and will advice you apply within the first 6 months.........Inland spousal sponsorship has the advantage of also applying for OWP at the same time..........however, when you apply Inland, your spouse is advised to remain in Canada while the Inland sponsorship is been processed, because if for any reason your spouse is denied re-entry to Canada, your Inland sponsorship may be refused..........OWP is approved within 4 months if you apply at the same time.

How to Get a Police Certificate – United States
Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence? Yes

Janii

Mar 11, 2017
We are just at the finish line of our application. I am a Canadian sponsoring my american COMMON LAW partner. We had to live together for a year before beginning our process which resulted in 2 visit extensions total (6 months visit). Anyways, for our fingerprints, we went to our local police station that did fingerprinting and they were kind enough to do it on the form that the FBI required with the specific ink.