+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian seeking spousal visa help!

katie3234

Star Member
Mar 8, 2010
Interview........
No interview
I met my husband while I was vacationing in Greece in November of 2008, he is an Albanian citizen, and was working illegally in Greece. I returned in May of 2009, and we moved in together. In August he was deported by the Greek police for not having a visa, and proper paper work. When he got deported I went to Albania and stayed with him, and met his family. He and I applied for a Canadian visitor visa for him, which he was denied. On the visitor visa we stated that we had met in Albania - which was a lie, since we met in Greece.

My questions are:
1.) On the spousal visa should we state that he was deported? Or should we say that we were both vacationing in Greece for a period shorted than 6 months, so he wont have to show any proof of visa or a police clearance?

2.) When we apply for a spousal visa, we will obviously say that we had applied for a visitor visa, which he was denied. But will they look back at the documents we provided for that and see that we said we had met in Albania?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Katie

etownboy

Feb 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2010
File Transfer...
in process 26-03-2010
Med's Done....
11-01-2010
Interview........
12 may 2011
hi katie, sorry i am no expert to any of ur questions, so i cant anwswer them :(. but one thing i am sure is that u gotta tell the truth. dont lie, because when they punch ur husband name into the computer, it will show his record and history of the past, so they will know that u lie. just tell the truth. have a great day.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Better tell the truth when you sponsor him. He will have to give his complete address and employment history since age 18 and if they back check, they will find out if you lied. Having been working illegally in Greece and having been deported will not affect his ability to be sponsored for PR since you can not overstay or work illegally in Canada once you have PR.

The fact that he was denied for a visit visa doesn't mean anything. Spouses, boyfriends and girlfriends are often denied visit visas since they may be seen as a risk of overstaying.

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
i agree. tell the truth. they will find out anyways.

Emcco709

Nov 17, 2012
katie3234 said:
I met my husband while I was vacationing in Greece in November of 2008, he is an Albanian citizen, and was working illegally in Greece. I returned in May of 2009, and we moved in together. In August he was deported by the Greek police for not having a visa, and proper paper work. When he got deported I went to Albania and stayed with him, and met his family. He and I applied for a Canadian visitor visa for him, which he was denied. On the visitor visa we stated that we had met in Albania - which was a lie, since we met in Greece.

My questions are:
1.) On the spousal visa should we state that he was deported? Or should we say that we were both vacationing in Greece for a period shorted than 6 months, so he wont have to show any proof of visa or a police clearance?

2.) When we apply for a spousal visa, we will obviously say that we had applied for a visitor visa, which he was denied. But will they look back at the documents we provided for that and see that we said we had met in Albania?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Katie

Please tell me how that went! I am currently trying to get my Albanian husband to Canada on a spouse visa and I just got an email from the visa office in Rome asking for a police clearence check to be done for my husband because he was in Greece for more than 6 months. My only problem is he was in Greece illegally :S He has 60 days to get the police clearence done and sent in. My only question is will him being there illegally affect the clearence check????

katie3234

Star Member
Mar 8, 2010
Interview........
No interview
I sent you a private message. But forgot to say a couple things.

We got 2 different police certificates from the Greek embassy

1.) saying he hadn't Comitted any crimes
2.) saying that he had overstayed a visa (or in his case not had a visa at all). He was physically deported so this paper said the day he was caught as being an illegal and the day he was deported.

These papers were a slight pain to get, we sent them with our original application. These papers each took around 1.5 month to receive. Once recieving them we had them translated. So if the embassy has only given you 60 day I would apply for these ASAP if you haven't already. I'm not sure if your husband only needs one or both.

Emcco709

Nov 17, 2012
Hey again
Sorry I can't send you a personal message back. I just wanted to say thanks for letting me know. Thats a real relief to hear it didn't affect your process. My husband and I went to the Greek Embassy in Tirana last week and sent in his information for the police check. I was told it would take 2 weeks to come and 10 days to get a copy if I need it. It should be done by Dec 4th which will give us plenty of time to send it in! I think they might have been nicer just becuase I was with him since every other person there was told it would take a month or more for their police checks. I really really hope we are lucky and my husbands application only takes 9 months like yours did. So far things have gone quickly. I'm going back to Canada soon so I'm hoping we wont have to be apart for too long.
Thanks again!!!