+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian residency validity

melbogia

Feb 9, 2010
Hello,
I visited Canada for my landing process and they gave me a photocopy of the landing document and told me that would work like a resident card until I actually move to Canada at which point I can get my real resident card.

My question is this: I came back to the US after that, how long do I have before I move to Canada or lose my resident card? I do know that I have to be in Canada for 2 of the next 5 years to keep my residency.

Can I enter Canada on the photocopy of the landing document?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are visa exempt to Canada or are going by car, you can enter on your landing documents. If you are not visa exempt and want to fly, you may need to prove to the airline that you have a visa to Canada in which case you might need to talk to the Canadian embassy where you are and get a PR travel document.

You are allowed to be outside Canada for up to 1095 days (3 years) in any 5 year period so you must go back to Canada before you have been away that long.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
You are allowed to be outside Canada for up to 1095 days (3 years) in any 5 year period so ...
I see this quote all the time and it still confuses me. Although I think I know what the right quote should be, I get concerned when it comes from VIP members. Is it "in any 5 year period" or "in the past 5 years"?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is any rolling 5 year period since you became a PR so if you got your PR less than 5 years ago, it is in your first 5 years as a PR or if you got your PR more than 5 years ago, it is any 5 year period after that.

Some people think that only the period of the PR card counts so if they say stayed in Canada 1 year, left for 3, came back for one and got their PR card renewed based on 2 years in Canada in the past 5, that they can just leave again but it is not so. Say that person left again for 2 years with his new PR card and at that point, his last 5 years will look like 2 years outside, 1 inside, 2 outside and now he loses his PR card while he is overseas and needs to apply for a travel document to come back to Canada, he would be refused.

bubs1121

Apr 11, 2009
Leon, just for confirmation. Is it really 1095 days or just 1094 days you are allowed to be outside Canada? Because in the PR Card application, if your total nos. of days is already equal or more than 1095 days, you have to answer Section D.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are right, 1094 days would be the maximum but I don't think it's a good idea to cut it that close. When you do the application and come up with exactly 1094 days away, they will probably be suspicious that you were gone longer and fudged the numbers to keep your PR.