+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian refugees claim process

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How can we claim refugees after getting visit visa of Canada?
Do you have a TRV? You must have had strong ties (job, property, etc) to your home country, good savings and your country is likely not to come with a high risk of claiming asylum to qualify for a TRV. If that is the case you should really be looking at economic immigration pathways which is a more certain way to secure PR.

Reactions: Mancini

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
How can we claim refugees after getting visit visa of Canada?
  • when you arrive at the border
  • after you’re already inside Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/claim-protection-inside-canada/apply.html

Do not listen to @canuck78

Do you have a TRV? You must have had strong ties (job, property, etc) to your home country, good savings and your country is likely not to come with a high risk of claiming asylum to qualify for a TRV. If that is the case you should really be looking at economic immigration pathways which is a more certain way to secure PR.
When i arrived here in 2016 i also had a TRV and you could say the same thing about me as he/she/they said above (job, property, ect) but that does not dismiss the fact that people have well-founded fear.
now i work in tech and make over 150k annually just graduated from school again, pay my tax, volunteer on weekends and living my Canadian dream and applied for citizenship.

So to answer the question you asked instead of trying to be dismissive and unhelpful, the answer is Yes you can apply after you get it. visitor visa and come to Canada. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html

If you want to find other ways or stream as well, go to this link and use the come to Canada tool and see if you meet the requirements etc and then make your choice.

Some other good-to-know info is:

First, you must have extensive Documentation on how your life is impossible in your country and your life is directly threatened. no newspapers, documentaries or other general material. This MUST be specific police reports, doctors’ records etc. Then are you sure there is NOWHERE in your country where you will be safe? Also, Asylum is not for bad conditions, better schooling or medical care, or too few jobs or a pushy government. None of these will be accepted!! Finally, One way is to get to Canada and claim..., almost impossible. The other is to leave your country apply to the UNHCR as a refugee and wait. You may not be sent to Canada,
however. as the person above said, going to school getting a diploma or advanced degree is more certain way to get your PR but not the only way so want to make sure you have all the info you may need. here are some stats you can read too
https://irb-cisr.gc.ca/en/statistics/protection/Pages/RPDStat2019.aspx

Good Luck

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/claim-protection-inside-canada/apply.html

When i arrived here in 2016 i also had a TRV and you could say the same thing about me as he/she/they said above (job, property, ect) but that does not dismiss the fact that people have well-founded fear.
now i work in tech and make over 150k annually just graduated from school again, pay my tax, volunteer on weekends and living my Canadian dream and applied for citizenship.

So to answer the question you asked instead of trying to be dismissive and unhelpful, the answer is Yes you can apply after you get it. visitor visa and come to Canada. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html

If you want to find other ways or stream as well, go to this link and use the come to Canada tool and see if you meet the requirements etc and then make your choice.

First, you must have extensive Documentation on how your life is impossible in your country and your life is directly threatened. no newspapers, documentaries or other general material. This MUST be specific police reports, doctors’ records etc. Then are you sure there is NOWHERE in your country where you will be safe? Also, Asylum is not for bad conditions, better schooling or medical care, or too few jobs or a pushy government. None of these will be accepted!! Finally, One way is to get to Canada and claim..., almost impossible. The other is to leave your country apply to the UNHCR as a refugee and wait. You may not be sent to Canada,
however. as the person above said, going to school getting a diploma or advanced degree is more certain way to get your PR but not the only way so want to make sure you have all the info you may need. here are some stats you can read too

Good Luck
Things have changed quite a bit since 2016 in the asylum system. Although it’s great that you’re making 150k a yr I would not considered that close to an average salary of a protected person having arrived and claimed asylum in 2016. Many still still don’t have permanent status in Canada. Stand by my comment. To get a TRV you had to show things like savings, property, longterm decent employment, international travel, etc. To get approved for a TRV you are deemed a low risk of applying for asylum. One of the reasons I asked whether they already had a TRV. Getting a TRV is a major obtacle for many. The asylum system is currently taking years not months so far from an easy, fast or guaranteed route. Some peop,e actually qualify for other immigration routes. They should be exhausted before applying for asylum unless your life is under immediate threat. It is taking 8-12 months to get a WP at this point. In 2016 you could get one in a month.

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Things have changed quite a bit since 2016 in the asylum system. Although it’s great that you’re making 150k a yr I would not considered that close to an average salary of a protected person having arrived and claimed asylum in 2016. Many still still don’t have permanent status in Canada. Stand by my comment. To get a TRV you had to show things like savings, property, longterm decent employment, international travel, etc. To get approved for a TRV you are deemed a low risk of applying for asylum. One of the reasons I asked whether they already had a TRV. Getting a TRV is a major obtacle for many. The asylum system is currently taking years not months so far from an easy, fast or guaranteed route. Some peop,e actually qualify for other immigration routes. They should be exhausted before applying for asylum unless your life is under immediate threat. It is taking 8-12 months to get a WP at this point. In 2016 you could get one in a month.
Totally get it, and never said you are wrong. and you can stand by your comment but its important to understand that you come off dismissive and unhelpful anyways!!! My point was you did not answer the person's question, you literally could have answered the question and then provided the info you just did as well, there is a better way to communicate and help folks without just typing the negative or whatever.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Totally get it, and never said you are wrong. and you can stand by your comment but its important to understand that you come off dismissive and unhelpful anyways!!! My point was you did not answer the person's question, you literally could have answered the question and then provided the info you just did as well, there is a better way to communicate and help folks without just typing the negative or whatever.
Many are unaware that getting a TRV is likely the major hurdle. Getting a TRV to enter Canada is very difficult compared to many countries including the US. Many also are under the impression that getting asylum is a fast process which it is not. There are also a lot of negative longterm consequences if denied asylum or even after being approved for asylum so should really be the last resort.

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other

Good Luck
He is always like that, answering questions in complicated ways and never straight to the point. I don't know what he will gain in that! He could have just said yes you can stay and claim asylum, Why making it hard?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
He is always like that, answering questions in complicated ways and never straight to the point. I don't know what he will gain in that! He could have just said yes you can stay and claim asylum, Why making it hard?
And others make it sound like applying for asylum is as easy as winning a weekend for two at your local Holiday Inn Express . But whatever, you already knew that

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Trying to educate about how difficult it actually is to claim asylum. It is a long and difficult process with no guarantees of being able to remain in Canada. There are many examples on this forum of people arriving only to discover that it will take up to a year to get a WP at the moment, that it will take up to 2 years to get a hearing, that many get refused initially and have to appeal, that many are separated from their family for many years even if they are accepted as protected people it will take many years for their family to join them in Canada, etc. Most arrive thinking that getting asylum in Canada will be relatively easy, that they wil be provided with free or affordable housing, that they will receive enough money from the government to live comfortably, etc. When people arrive they are very surprised that this is not the case.

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other
Trying to educate about how difficult it actually is to claim asylum. It is a long and difficult process with no guarantees of being able to remain in Canada. There are many examples on this forum of people arriving only to discover that it will take up to a year to get a WP at the moment, that it will take up to 2 years to get a hearing, that many get refused initially and have to appeal, that many are separated from their family for many years even if they are accepted as protected people it will take many years for their family to join them in Canada, etc. Most arrive thinking that getting asylum in Canada will be relatively easy, that they wil be provided with free or affordable housing, that they will receive enough money from the government to live comfortably, etc. When people arrive they are very surprised that this is not the case.
When they ask about if this thing is possible or not, then you should only tell them Yes or NO. If they asked about how long the process can take then you can copy paste that to their forum and put it in the comments. Be relevant to what they ask. If I ask you how much is a Toyota Corolla 2022 then you can just give me the price nothing more. Don't tell me it might broke in 5 years and tears apart after 10 years. That is just not necessary!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When they ask about if this thing is possible or not, then you should only tell them Yes or NO. If they asked about how long the process can take then you can copy paste that to their forum and put it in the comments. Be relevant to what they ask. If I ask you how much is a Toyota Corolla 2022 then you can just give me the price nothing more. Don't tell me it might broke in 5 years and tears apart after 10 years. That is just not necessary!
A simple yes or no doesn’t in many cases doesn’t actually provide the necessary information. Same thing as asking for the price of a Toyota Corolla. There isn’t a simple answer it depends on the model, depends if you get it new or used (Yes you can get a used 2022 in 2022 since modems for 2023 are already being released), what colour you want, whether you are willing to wait if they are not in stock since many cars are not available due to supply chain issues, etc. Toyota Corolla has good safety and maintenance record but if it didn’t I would also tell someone that there are better options and that certain makes or models are known to have many maintenance issues and are less reliable.