+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR - Work Abroad

tanviraslam

Nov 28, 2018
Hey Guys,

So I have already gotten my PR landing in August 2019, I was planning on relocating to Canada in the coming months, however with the COVID-19 situation it probably seems better that I should wait for sometime.

Lets say tomorrow if travel does open, it seems that we are also going into a global recession, and I am worried that the job market is going to be very tough in Canada. While I have a decent paying Job right now. Could it make sense for the Government to allow PR to work abroad, but start paying taxes and let the time count towards citizenship? I know that it is possible if you are working abroad for a Canadian Government Company, but just wondering if in these times they might want to expand it to private sector and help build the tax base. Just a thought would love to hear what people think and if it makes sense to reach out and ask

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Very unlikely I would think for them to change the physical presence rule for citizenship, why should they when the whole point is about being in Canada and showing a committment to Canada not being outside of Canada. Same goes for the PR residency obligation unlikely to be any relief where someone has made a personal choice to work outside of Canada. Sure there might be some relief for PR residency if someone can show due to travel restrictions they could not make it back before their RO would be in default but for work alone doubtful.

In your case you could hold out as far as the RO is concerned through to July/August 2022 as long as then stay put through 2024.

as for asking who you going to ask given the current emergency nobody is even going to entertain such a question

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hey Guys,

So I have already gotten my PR landing in August 2019, I was planning on relocating to Canada in the coming months, however with the COVID-19 situation it probably seems better that I should wait for sometime.

Lets say tomorrow if travel does open, it seems that we are also going into a global recession, and I am worried that the job market is going to be very tough in Canada. While I have a decent paying Job right now. Could it make sense for the Government to allow PR to work abroad, but start paying taxes and let the time count towards citizenship? I know that it is possible if you are working abroad for a Canadian Government Company, but just wondering if in these times they might want to expand it to private sector and help build the tax base. Just a thought would love to hear what people think and if it makes sense to reach out and ask
No, doesn't make any sense in the slightest to ask. Plus the government's hands are full trying to keep the proverbial wo!f from doors of people who actually reside here, not from someone who doesn't, or thinking about not

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey Guys,

Yeah, not going to happen.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey Guys,

I agree with others. No chance this will happen for citizenship.

IMO the most you might see is more relaxed rules regarding retaining PR status.

vellocet

Jun 9, 2019
Um canadian PRs are supposed to pay tax on their worldwide income, so if you became one in August 2019 and haven't been paying tax you're tax evading.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Um canadian PRs are supposed to pay tax on their worldwide income, so if you became one in August 2019 and haven't been paying tax you're tax evading.
No - not necessarily. Non-residents do not file taxes.

Reactions: Buletruck