+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR trying to cross land border to the US

maverick_bigapple

Star Member
Jul 6, 2015
Hi All,

Has anyone here that is NOT a US Citizen/Permanent Resident crossed the land border (from Canada) in to the US?

While going through messages posted here, I observed that people on the H1B have been crossing the border. As for me, I hold a valid visitor (B1/B2) visa, and am contemplating on driving to the US to visit my spouse (she’s based in the US, and is a US citizen). While the CBP does permit “essential travel”, I’m not sure if I’d be able to cross the border on a B1/B2.

While I acknowledge that these are difficult times and a lot of us are in challenging situations, I’d appreciate if people refrain from trolling, frivolous commenting, and questioning my intent to travel.

Many thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

Has anyone here that is NOT a US Citizen/Permanent Resident crossed the land border (from Canada) in to the US?

While going through messages posted here, I observed that people on the H1B have been crossing the border. As for me, I hold a valid visitor (B1/B2) visa, and am contemplating on driving to the US to visit my spouse (she’s based in the US, and is a US citizen). While the CBP does permit “essential travel”, I’m not sure if I’d be able to cross the border on a B1/B2.

While I acknowledge that these are difficult times and a lot of us are in challenging situations, I’d appreciate if people refrain from trolling, frivolous commenting, and questioning my intent to travel.

Many thanks!
The bigger issue will be potentially getting stuck in the US if you get covid. Do you have medical insurance that would cover the hospitalization if you needed to be admitted. Many of the ICU stays due to covid will easily be 1 million dollars. Whether you'll have to time to do a covid test within 72 hours of entering Canada. Seen a lot of posts where results weren't received within the 72 hours in the US. CBSA will question whether your travel is essential but they do have to let you in. Don't know if they fine people if travel isn't considered essential. Are you able to head straight home from the border to quarantine for 14 days. Do you live alone so yo can quarantine? Are you able to work remotely?

It's pretty clear you know you are breaking all the public health guidelines and you shouldn't be travelling. If everyone thinks that they can break the public health rules we will be stuck in lockdown throughout the summer. If everyone thinks selfishly that they are only one person, that if one person breaks the rules it's not a big deal and that people don't understand that they miss their family it collectively becomes a huge problem. Can't expect people not to point out this goes against all we told not to do especially from people who have followed all the rules for over a year and have not seen family or friends themselves even though they are also tired of covid rules.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

Many thanks!
You might want to try posting your question in this section of the forum. It's dedicated to H1B discussions but they may know the answer.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/h-1b-holders-in-the-u-s.59/

I think it's ultimately at the discretion of CBP but I don't personally know what needs to be presented to them to show the trip is essential.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would warn you that the premiers discussed needing tighter controls at the US border with the PM today. Would expect that there may be changes at the US border soon. Like any travel out of Canada these days you have to plan for difficulties returning.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
One possibility is flying to the US (which doesn’t have to be essential, last I checked), and driving back (to skip the quarantine hotels).