+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR - Travelling from US to Canada by road

anurag.jain

Sep 15, 2009
I became Permanant Resident of Canada when I landed with my PR visa in May 09.
I then came back to US because of my pending work commitments.
I am planning to make couple of trips to Canada within next 2-3 months by car( which is on Goods to Follow List).
My question is can I make these trips from US to Canada and back with my own car without importing it. I am planning to import the car when I finally move to Canada.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Yes, as long as you don't live in Canada you should be able to cross the border in a personal vehicle registered in the United States. Is the car on your goods to follow list?

flyingColors

Dec 10, 2008
Hi Anurag and all other experts!
I got my PR recently and I am planning to make an entry into Canada from USA in Oct month. I am planning to go by road on rental car and return back after 3-4 days. Is it possible? I am confused about this. how did you make your entry into Canada?
I will go and apply for SIN and somebody from my family can later bring the PR card to USA but I am not sure how will immigration officer react if I say I want to come back to USA within a week.
Please share your experiences in this. Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

anurag.jain

Sep 15, 2009
Hi,

I was able to cross border in my personal vehicle. I told the customs officer that I was just visiting. There was no issue inspite of my vehicle listed on Goods to Follow list. So I guess you can visit Canada in your personal vehicle as long as you don't intend to stay there even if you are a landed immigrant.

As per the question of landing, I initially landed with my own car (which was also on Goods to Follow List). I was there for couple of days and after applying for SIN came to USA. I gave the address of my relatives and after they received the PR card, they sent me the same by post.
Let me know if have any questions.

Regards

Anurag