+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR residing in Canada sponsoring H1B holder residing in US..

lucky9

Mar 16, 2009
Hi there,

My fiancee and I are getting married next month in India, I am originally from India working in the US for almost 4 years now on a valid H1B visa. My fiancee is a Canadian PR holder and lives in Canada, just finished studies and now looking for a job in her profession. We are looking for the best, quickest and easiest way she can sponsor me for my PR so we both can stay together in Canada.

I already have a multiple entry 10 year visitor visa if that helps. She does not have a US travel visa yet.

Here are the questions I have:

1) If she sponsors me from within Canada and then we travel to be with each other (me to Canada and she to US) during the time from sponsorship till I get my PR is this going to be OK?
2) Is it recommended that I keep working in the US and make trips out to Canada every now and then to my wife till I don't get my PR approved? Any risks in traveling every now and then?
3) Can she file for my sponsorship and come and live with me on H4 visa and once I receive my PR we both go to Canada together?
4) What would be the recommended and ideal way to handle this scenario so we don't have much of separation and don't pose any sort of risk on my PR application.

Replies are appreciated!

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Since your wife is a PR holder, she must be living in Canada in order to sponsor you. This means that she must be living in Canada when your application is submitted and must continue living in Canada while your application is being process and until your PR visa is approved. Short (2-3) occasional trips outside of Canada are fine. However if he stays outside of Canada too long or leaves too frequently, she will risk having the application refused due to non-residency.

So your plans must include her consistently living in Canada while the application is being processed.

A

achander

1) Since she is only a PR and not a citizen, she needs to be in Canada till your sponsorship is completed. She can make 2-3 short trips. You can travel to Canada since you have a multiple entry visa.

2) Yes, do NOT quit your job. Also once you get your PR, you only need to be in Canada 2 out of 5 yrs to maintain ur PR. Only move once you are ready, and if you have a job before coming to Canada it would be ideal. Job Market in Canada is very different from US. I was on H-1B and i moved after marriage, lucky i got a transfer within my company.

3) She cannot live with you while she is sponsoring you, only visits.

4) Get married. Apply for sponsorship (make sure you have all the docs), frequently visit each other (once a month or more if you can). US to Canada shouldn't be that bad, less than a year for most of us.

good luck

NewCanadaPR

Jun 3, 2013
Hi,

We are new immigrant to Canada. I am finding job in our field(software development, having 6 years of Experience). but In Canada all recruiter asking about Canadian experience. But we are new immigrants and I don't have any Canada Experience.

But i got some Job Opportunities from USA. So, What Visa do i need for USA job? If H-1B visa required so, How much time it will take if i apply from Canada? And also does it will cause any issue for our Canada Permanent Resident Status?

Please reply if anyone knows....