+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR, pregnant and want to give birth in Canada

pat2311

Jul 18, 2017
hi,
I am Canadian PR. I landed in Toronto in April’18 and came back to my home country just in one month. I didn’t apply for OIHP and now I am pregnant and want to give birth in Canada. My due is in April’19 and I wish to go to Manitoba at my relative’s place and give birth there. I read that Manitoba covers health care from day 1. Since I never applied for OIHP before & stayed in Ontario just for 1 month, will I be still considered as new immigrant in Manitoba? Will Manitoba Health care cover all my pregnancy expenses? Do they afterwards require us to stay in Manitoba for 183 days? Pl help. Urgent!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You didn't qualify for OHIP so you were correct in not applying for it during your short landing. No Manitoba doesn't grant coverage immediately and you would be required to live in Manitoba for over 6 months. If you try to give birth in one province close to landing and don't plan to stay in that province you need to anticipate that your residency will be closely monitored. Healthcare is provincial so provinces and many provinces are aware that they are being used for their healthcare upon landing. They don't like to cover large medical expenses and have people move to pay taxes in another province.

I'm new to Manitoba. How do I apply for coverage?
If you are eligible (i.e., legally entitled to be in Canada and intend on living in Manitoba for at least 183 days of the year), coverage will begin on the first day of the third month after your arrival in Manitoba. For example, if you arrive on April 29, April will count as the first month, with May and June as the following two. Therefore, in this case your coverage would begin July 1.

When you register, you will need to:

• Complete a Manitoba Health Registration Form
  • Provide your previous province’s/territory’s health card number
  • Provide proof of Canadian citizenship ((i.e. Copy of Canadian Birth Certificate or Canadian Citizenship Card or Permanent Resident Confirmation Card (copy of both sides))
Until your health coverage begins you should maintain your coverage with your previous health plan.

pat2311

Jul 18, 2017
You didn't qualify for OHIP so you were correct in not applying for it during your short landing. No Manitoba doesn't grant coverage immediately and you would be required to live in Manitoba for over 6 months. If you try to give birth in one province close to landing and don't plan to stay in that province you need to anticipate that your residency will be closely monitored. Healthcare is provincial so provinces and many provinces are aware that they are being used for their healthcare upon landing. They don't like to cover large medical expenses and have people move to pay taxes in another province.

I'm new to Manitoba. How do I apply for coverage?
If you are eligible (i.e., legally entitled to be in Canada and intend on living in Manitoba for at least 183 days of the year), coverage will begin on the first day of the third month after your arrival in Manitoba. For example, if you arrive on April 29, April will count as the first month, with May and June as the following two. Therefore, in this case your coverage would begin July 1.

When you register, you will need to:

• Complete a Manitoba Health Registration Form
  • Provide your previous province’s/territory’s health card number
  • Provide proof of Canadian citizenship ((i.e. Copy of Canadian Birth Certificate or Canadian Citizenship Card or Permanent Resident Confirmation Card (copy of both sides))
Until your health coverage begins you should maintain your coverage with your previous health plan.
Thanks for your reply! But I read on one Canadian website that New immigrants in Manitoba are eligible from day 1 upon their landing or once PR status is established. Since I didn't stay in Ontario for long neither I have OIHP and also I am coming now from my home country, I suppose I won't be considered as immigrant moving from one province to other. Rather, I would be considered as new immigrant, that's what I feel. What information you have shared is for immigrant moving to Manitoba from some other province. Kindly throw some light on this. Really appreciate your reply. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your reply! But I read on one Canadian website that New immigrants in Manitoba are eligible from day 1 upon their landing or once PR status is established. Since I didn't stay in Ontario for long neither I have OIHP and also I am coming now from my home country, I suppose I won't be considered as immigrant moving from one province to other. Rather, I would be considered as new immigrant, that's what I feel. What information you have shared is for immigrant moving to Manitoba from some other province. Kindly throw some light on this. Really appreciate your reply. Thanks!
You're right. Thought new to Manitoba meant new to Canada. Anticipate that they will be looking to see if you are moving to Manitoba or trying to use their healthcare. Given that you are pregnant when you first arrive in Canada and apply anticipate your case will be closely monitored.

I'm new to Canada. How do I apply for coverage?
If you are a new resident and would like to apply for Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living coverage, please present a photocopy of your passport and all other Citizenship and Immigration Canada documents which have been issued to you and your dependants along with a completed Manitoba Health Registration Form. Providing the document you have been issued is acceptable as outlined in The Health Services Insurance Act, you may be eligible for coverage.

Who is eligible for Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living coverage?
Returning Canadians

You are eligible for coverage the day you arrive in Manitoba when proof of your Canadian citizenship, arrival date and residence status are provided.

Permanent Resident

You are eligible for coverage on your date of arrival in Manitoba when proof of Permanent Resident Status is provided or on the date Permanent Resident Status is granted.

pat2311

Jul 18, 2017
You're right. Thought new to Manitoba meant new to Canada. Anticipate that they will be looking to see if you are moving to Manitoba or trying to use their healthcare. Given that you are pregnant when you first arrive in Canada and apply anticipate your case will be closely monitored.

I'm new to Canada. How do I apply for coverage?
If you are a new resident and would like to apply for Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living coverage, please present a photocopy of your passport and all other Citizenship and Immigration Canada documents which have been issued to you and your dependants along with a completed Manitoba Health Registration Form. Providing the document you have been issued is acceptable as outlined in The Health Services Insurance Act, you may be eligible for coverage.

Who is eligible for Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living coverage?
Returning Canadians

You are eligible for coverage the day you arrive in Manitoba when proof of your Canadian citizenship, arrival date and residence status are provided.

Permanent Resident

You are eligible for coverage on your date of arrival in Manitoba when proof of Permanent Resident Status is provided or on the date Permanent Resident Status is granted.
Ok so I understand that I will for sure get health coverage from day 1 once I land in Manitoba. Right?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Based on the statement, I think you will find they will review your landing date on your COPR and determine if you are a newcomer. I wouldn’t count on getting coverage immediately. I’d have your relative call Manitoba Health and explain the circumstances and see what they say.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Based on the statement, I think you will find they will review your landing date on your COPR and determine if you are a newcomer. I wouldn’t count on getting coverage immediately. I’d have your relative call Manitoba Health and explain the circumstances and see what they say.
Unfortunately the answer you receive on the phone is not always correct. I would make sure to explain your situation and get everything in writing through an email. Also might depend on what program you immigrated through. There can definitely be more pushback when it is clear people are arriving to give birth in Canada. You should also be aware that you don't qualify for maternity benefits since you have not been working in Canada. I do believe you qualify for insurance on the 1st day.

pat2311

Jul 18, 2017
Unfortunately the answer you receive on the phone is not always correct. I would make sure to explain your situation and get everything in writing through an email. Also might depend on what program you immigrated through. There can definitely be more pushback when it is clear people are arriving to give birth in Canada. You should also be aware that you don't qualify for maternity benefits since you have not been working in Canada. I do believe you qualify for insurance on the 1st day.
I am already into my third trimester, so I thought no insurance company would be helpful now. Can you suggest me the insurance companies that I can look for in this situation? Also, I got my PR in Canada through express entry FSW program. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am already into my third trimester, so I thought no insurance company would be helpful now. Can you suggest me the insurance companies that I can look for in this situation? Also, I got my PR in Canada through express entry FSW program. Thanks!
Was referral to provincial health insurance. You are right no private health insurance will cover you because delivery is a sure thing.

Nov 26, 2019
Good morning
Can anyone help me by giving information on: I live in Ontario having pgwp and Ohip. Now I am moving Manitoba . Is OHIP is valid in Manitoba or not. How many days take to get Manitoba health card.
Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I make Ohip only one month before. Please reply me. Is this valid in manitoba
Very tough to tell because I don’t know if you meet the Ontario residency requirements and when they start counting moving to Ontario. You only qualified for OHIP 4 months ago. When did you move to Ontario?

Who qualifies
To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least oneof the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home