+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR - Landing by Personal Car

mshah33

Sep 26, 2007
Hi ,
We have received PR last month and planning to land by our personel car on which my car loan still pending.we are not going to move permanently but will comeback after 3-5 days to USA. My question

(1) can we drive our personal car with titile on still bank's name due to pending loan? what documents i need to show to to Immigration officer for my car besisdes Registratioin.

(2) If i declare my Car in "Good to follow list" (Importing in future) do i need to pay fee for vehicle inspection etc ..?

Thanks in advance
Maulik

C

cchabert

Check this website:

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

or

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/impusae.htm

But they are assuming that you are to move permanently to Canada, if you don't have the title of the car you can't import the car and if you mention that you'll come back in 3 days don't you think it can sound suspicious? Maybe they can revoke your PR, keep searching, good luck!

mshah33

Sep 26, 2007
Thanks for reply and information. I spoke to CBSA in the morning and they told me if i am not moving completly than i can put my car in "goods to follow list" and later when i will move completely i can import it. As i do not have title for my car and lien holder is bank , i need to get permission from bank to drive to canada. So Driving personal car should be fine according to CBSA as far as you coming back in few days.

I will update this post once i get through my PR with actual information...

Thanks again.

C

cchabert

Thank you for sharing I'm in the same boat, I'm still paying my car. keep it posted

KayCee2

Star Member
Jul 10, 2008
oh great! Thanks for the update. I was wondering about that too with my car.

keep us posted when you land..

Good luck!

mshah33

Sep 26, 2007
Spoke with my Credit Union bank and they told me they are fine with my driving to canada and comeback. No need of any kind of documention for permission require from bank side as far as going to canada and only Proof of Insurance and registration requires. For mexico they do. but each bank might have diffrent process.Also for security they have entered my travel information in my account.let see now..

C

cchabert

The interesting part now is if you decide to move permanently, let's see if your bank can transfer your car title to another bank in Canada if you haven't finished the payments or simple return the car and buy another one.

canadian2001

Aug 27, 2008
mshah33 said:
Thanks for reply and information. I spoke to CBSA in the morning and they told me if i am not moving completly than i can put my car in "goods to follow list" and later when i will move completely i can import it. As i do not have title for my car and lien holder is bank , i need to get permission from bank to drive to canada. So Driving personal car should be fine according to CBSA as far as you coming back in few days.

I will update this post once i get through my PR with actual information...

Thanks again.
How about going back to Canada with my car from U.S.? Will they ask for tax for my car?

mshah33

Sep 26, 2007
Finally i drove my personal car to canada and had successful landing.I put car in Goods to follow list. They simply asked wheather i am importing now or later and answer was later. they said in future when i am going to import my car then title must be on my name and not on bank's name. Thants it ..

so driving with personal car with pending loan is not an issue for canadian PR landing.

N.B. I took 1000 island bridge to cross..

C

cchabert

This confirm that if you import your car you will need the title on your name and not on banks name, so is up to the person if he paid the balance to get the title or return the car to the dealer. Interesting, thank you!

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
mshah33 - when you have your title and are ready to import the car, remember it is important that you also export the car before you leave the United States. You have to fax the title to the US CBP office where you will leave the country. You have to provide CBP this information 72 hrs before the export. You must bring the fax transcript as proof. Without CBP export documents you can't import.

craig53

Feb 1, 2006
GK-- That's news to me-- we put our car down as "later goods" when we temporarily crossed a year ago. When we went back permanently there was no mention or question about "export." I had never heard of that and my car is happily in Canada and I'm still paying on the US loan.

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
craig53 - if you want to play by the book you need to export the car if your intention is to take the car out of US permanently. In order to complete the export you must own the vehicle.

I work with Import/Export and have a bit of experience in this - although I don’t know much about your case. 95% of banks will not allow you to export a car that you are still paying off. If you have the bank’s approval to export you should present that document instead of the title. Now, Canada Customs doesn’t necessarily care about if you export or not, but unless you have the proper export documents from US Customs you may have committed an illegal export since you don’t own the car.

You are already in Canada now so keep paying off that car, but you should under absolutely no circumstances drive back into the US with your vehicle. It’s not worth the risk as it can get your in serious trouble!

C

cchabert

Good point GK I'm still paying the car and I think I'll returned to the dealer, no way I can payoff the car before go to Canada. Again very good post.